1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hella vs. Lightforce?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Lead Dog, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

hey guys- I need some moose beams for the front end of my F550, and I am looking for some input from those out there that would know about which is the better light?

I am looking at installing four 8" flood/spot beams across the front- hopefully on a KC Lite bar... the bar has to be pretty flush with the front of the bumper to maximize clearance for the plow that also sits out front.

Obviously I am not runnning the lights while I am plowing- so, let's kill that reply right off :rolleyes:

However I do some long distance driving and want to be able to light things up when the plow is back at home!

Any feedback would be great- if you've got experience with this set-up? Awesome! or if you've got a better way to go: different light bar for the bumper, different lights, etc... I am all ears.

Thanks in advance, I'll get some pics of the F550 up soon....
    R.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

id go with a pair of HID fog lights for a low and wide beam pattern and then a pair of HID projectors for the far and narrow beam pattern.

3. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply- I am looking into an HID conversion for the plow light set-up... but for the sake of money and getting setup right now with those spotbeams and floods, I was looking at halogens that could be converted later...

What are you using for a lightbar? Or did you mount right to the bumper? OR did you put them up top?

With the KC Lite bumper bar I think I've got the intial clearance between the grill and the plow frame to get the lights in there safely.... what I don't know about is how much of that clearance gets taken up when you're plowing, and whether that plow frame would take out the lights... We all know that from time to time there is a curb, or a rock, or a tree stump, or even a well head :gunsfiring: that gets located with the help of our plows, and when that happens, how much unconventional recoil take splace with that plow frame? Has anyone ever lost their spot beams/floods as a result of the plow frame coming back and smacking them?

Is there a better bar that you guys have found? One that is tighter up against the grill? One that is stonger than the KC Lite bar. I am trying to keep it as clean as possible- no big bulky brushguard lightbars here!

Thanks again- bring on the white stuff!

4. PTSolutions

i dont think ive ever seen a front mount light bar that will fit along with the light tower of a plow.

im not familiar with fisher plows, when you take the plow off, does the whole setup come off? or just the moldboard and pushframe?

5. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

Pro Touch-

yeah, with a Fisher, everything comes off the front: Plow frame, lights, everything except the sub frame under the truck.

What I am looking for in a light bar is something that will mount tight in up against the grill and allow for 5 or 6 inches of clearance for the plow frame up in front, so the lights don't get dinged by the plow...

Also, I was hoping someone had some input on the comparisons of the two different lights, Hella vs. Light Force: strenght, durability, etc

calling for 2-4 tonight, so I may not be around for a day or two... :D

take it easy,

Ryan

6. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I have always liked the hellas even though i now have 4 piaas on my new bumper. Alot of people talk up the lightforces and they may be all they say, but I think youll have more room with the hella 4000s then the lightforces.

7. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

a friend of mine built a push bar that goes in to the plow mount(boss) with 4 hid kc's, he then bought a plug for the lights that hooks up to the plow harness and the lights turn on with his high beams on for the plow. really sweet setup and he takes it off whenever he needs... just unplugs it... it works great and lots of lighting when hes on the norht highways where there is lots of wild life

8. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

sweet... that sounds like the way to go, if you're running long distances out in the boondocks!

I had something similar to that with my old Easy V. An extension of my plow light bar that allowed me to add two 6" Hellas- same setup where they were only on when my High beams were on, that really lit things up.

My boondock runs won't involve the plow though, and an HID conversion on the new generation Fisher plow lights should be all I need for plowing runs.

However, what I'm really looking to do is have the light bar on the front of the truck, on the bumper, so that when one of these long distance road trips come up, I can drop the plow- leaving it at home- and have my moosebeams lighting the way...

Thanks for the ideas anyway.

Ryan

9. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

thanks, this is the feedback I am looking for!

10. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive
    from NJ

I sell Hella and PIAA and people just really like Hella. If there is ever a problem with a light they take care of it right away. I feel that our prices for Hella are very good. Please take a look around and if you have any more question please let me know. Btw Hella 500FF's are on sale right now for $59.95, thats a great deal.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/browse.cfm/cf-bin/cmd.brands/q.hella+lights/

Here are the 500FF's that are on sale.
    [​IMG]

11. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

thanks, anthony!

12. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive
    from NJ

No problem.

13. PTSolutions

if you do an hid conversion with a kit off ebay, make sure you get a good one. i bought two kits for like 80 bucks, the service with the guy is great, but ive had to send back three ballasts and a bulb. he takes them no questions asked and ships me back new ones, but i have to mail them to hong kong. get a set that is based here out of the US. this will prolly be where i will get the set for the Ford:

http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-172/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-CONVERSION/Detail

14. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Junior Member

I'll check it out, thanks!

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

pro-comps out do the hella 4 to 1 IMO...

the 130 watt ones are only like 5" deep and 2 is all you need....

first...get off and away from ANY 55 watt bulbs....too small..

hella mabey something liek this
    Hella Rallye 4000 Series Compact Xenon Lights
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  16. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Lightforce lights are by far the best lights ever produced!! Make them fit and run them. Expensive but well worth. no other light can even come close... Here is a set of 240 Blitz on my old GMC.. They withstood the impact with no issueswesport... And then a set of the 140's on my Quadzilla...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member