1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hell of a ride!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 26, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i was cruisin down the expressway last nite an all of a sudden the steering wheel turned into awesome power steering ,guess what i broke a tie rod end doing 65 mph. all i can tell ya IT WAS A HELL OF A RIDE !!! any one else had it happen let me know

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had a friend that had that happen to his Suzuki Sidekick. Tie rod fell off, and he couldn't steer, he ended up rolling it into the ditch. Good thing for the roll bar.:)

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Guys no offense, but when you have a loose frontend part, you can feel it and it makes noise for a long time before it just falls off. Whos keeping an eye on these things on your vehicles? When a car or truck comes into my shop for the littlest thing such as an oil change, I always go over to the front wheels while its on the lift and try to shake them side to side and top to bottom to check for play and looseness in the frontend. One reason I do this is to try and sell something to the customer naturally, and also to let them know even if they dont get it fixed at our place, GET IT FIXED ANYWAY, if I do infact find something wrong. Someone has to be keeping an eye on this stuff. Mike

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had that happen 38 years ago. I was 15 years old and driving a '51 Chevy. I didn't have a license so I'd drive it up and down a long driveway that had a sharp curve at the end. Started into the curve, a tie rod came off. Missed the curve, went through a barbed wire fence, snapped a telephone pole, skinned a tree and tore up about 50 feet of three rows of corn. All the car got was a dent over one headlight - didn't even break the bulb. Just backed out of the field. Last I knew, the car was still running. I saw the car again about five years ago, still sitting where I left it back then at an uncle's place.

5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Quite a few years ago, up over a curb into the grass.

Afraid to hit the brakes hard, just rode it out coaxing it to stop.

No damage, hell of a ride though.

Never gave a hint of problems before it happened.

Also had bought a used car once, took it in for a lube job as I always do to new used cars, just so I can peak underneath.

The tie rod fell off in the lube experts hands while greasing it.

That one did have a little shimmy between 45 ands 50 but I never imagined that.

Seems like they would have invented a better Idea by now.

:rolleyes:

6. long0

long0 Senior Member

Pitman arm came off my 66 CJ5 on the way to a neighbors one day. I was going slow, and ended up in the snowbank nice and soft. It never gave a hint of falling off, but then again, old jeeps make lots of noise going down any road.

For sure one of the most frightning momements of my life.

Andy

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Happened to a frind of mine on the QEW. Driving along in an old Lincon town car boat, back when everyone speed there. All of a sudden boom it broke at the start of a curve. She tried to stop but ended up slaming into a yeld sign that some what slowed her down before the light/telephone pole.
    4 people in the car, all 4 went to hospital. 2 in front bruised bad from the seatbelts, 1 of them broken arm. 2 in back hit the front seats pretty hard with thier heads, knocked one of them out & cut the others head up pretty good.

Luckaly thats all thay sufferd.

8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Hmmm,,,

Mine was a ford also.