1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Height on MVP Plus ??#$!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scottL, Aug 30, 2007.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Guys,

Just picked up the new MVP Plus 8.5' poly with back drag today. Fast monster sized plow. However, I'm very disappointed in the quality of the frame. Rust at most seams, spots were the wire feed from the welder left off, spit marks from the treatment that weren't washed off before painting. I know this plow just came from Western to my local dealer who sells 80 plus blades a season so, it wasn't sitting around. Oh ... and to another thread - This plow had 'china' stamped on many pieces and parts. Very disappointed.:cry: :gunsfiring:

Anyway maybe you guys can help me out here..... When the plow is fully up the blade has maybe 10" of clearance. It's off the truck now - fricken nightmare to move around. Can this blade be adjusted to lift higher???? ( I can see 3" of upper cylinder when it's floating and I know there are 3 bolt holes on each mount that seem to indicate height - just no idea what to adjust ).

btw - anyone know how high the plow will float up when stacking?

THANKS!!!!:help:

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Take a link or too out of the lift chain. Thats a simpler start, If thats not it, there are lots of ways to adjust a V plow. None easy to do.

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Wow that is unbelievable. Not to sound harsh, you didn't notice that before you left? I would have never left with it. Did you contact Western? What did the dealer say? I guess everything is being made over seas. It must cost nothing to make it but it cost us an arm and a leg to buy it. :dizzy:

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't chew on it! Probably is lead paint

5. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

scottl,

make sure your controller is in float position,then push the lift arm all the way down and re-connect your chains to the lift arm. adjusted properly you will have some slack so when you hit the dips in the pavement your plow will be able to follow.

As far as the stacking, it will stack (raise) until the a-frame hits the lift frame. you may have a stacking stopper installed depending on your truck application.

i highly recommend to read the manual if you have not done so already, Goodluck this season,Plowtech.:waving:

6. scottL

Hey Guys - good info, Thank you.

I've adjusted the chain while in float and the lift cylinder shows about 3". Maybe that's correct to allow for further pavement drop/contour.

I did comment at the shop about the height on the plow. They said that was normal and showed it to me on 2 other Silverado's. I wanted to ask here because there is a ton of knowledge and a different perspective. BTW - how much clearance do you guys have from blade edge to ground when fully lifted?

As for the rust ... didn't even see it until I got home. What about the bolts that are positioners on the frame. There are 3 holes they could go into but, the manuals do not say anything about them?

Thanks!

7. scottL

I'm going to try and contact Western today. I wanted to first let them know the quality but, I also need to chat with them and Chevy about trying to figure out how to keep the trans cool. Yesterday was about 75 degrees for a 30 minute drive home at 45 mph in lite traffic. I tried the plow in just about every position. The engine temp gauge stayed straight up at 210 like always. The outside temperature gauge which is shown on the rear view mirror kept climbing and as it did so did the trans temp. When I finally got home the outside temp read 135 and the trans was 203. It was clear the trans was getting zero air flow.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

When you adjust your chain in float make sure you push down on the headgrear. this will get rid of the 3" of the piston.

You might want to look into tightening up your torsion bars, add timbrens and thow a k of ballest in the bed behind the axel. you should pick up a few inches in your carry hieght.

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Let us know how you made out with Western, and what they are going to do for you.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

203 isn't too hot for a 30 minute drive in traffic at 75 deg. with the plow on. As long as it doesn't keep climbing and the engine temp stays down, it's not anything to really worry about. Since the engine temp didn't climb, then you have enough airflow through the radiator.

11. scottL

I've got emails and vmails out to Chevy, Western and the company who installed the plow. I remember talking with the Chevy trans tech and he indicated the computer starts to bog the truck down around 200 and cuts the power at 220. I definitely noticed less power when she climbed around 200. I'll keep you guys posted on the heat.....

Still curious the ground clearance of other westerns from blade edge to ground when fully lifted??????

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The transmission is doing exactly what it was designed for so don't worry about 200 being too hot. The difference in power you felt is do to the ECM commanding the converter to lock when the temp gets over 200 deg. The ECM commands the torque converter to stay "fully locked" in 2nd through 4th gear to prevent the temp from climbing any higher. This is why it feels like it "bogs" down, due to the converter being fully locked. It's totally normal with a snowplow on the front.Not only are you working the truck harder due to "pushing" the plow though the air so it's gonna build more trans temp.Kinda like an "invisible load" so to speak. Plus, the plow will block some of the air to the cooler, hence the elevated tranny temps.But your temps are not out of line with other HD"S running plows.

13. scottL

That might be one explanation. However, the only reason the temp stopped at 203 was I had reached my destination. I'll update the info in the next few weeks as these fantastic companies get back to me - or more likely I have to pursue them.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep us posted on your finding's Scott, I think your gonna find that these
    "fantastic companies" will pretty much tell you the same thing that I stated. BTW, if your truck has plow prep with the heavy duty fan clutch, there's not much more you or they can do to lower the temps at higher road speeds...on some trucks, it's just the nature of the beast.

15. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

ScottL,

What is the:

• year
      make
      model
      front gross axle weight(found on label inside drivers door)
      reg cab,ext cab? etc.
      bed length
      engine size
      Thanks ,Plowtech:)

16. scottL

I hope you don't want my mothers maiden name too ;)

2007 -2500HD New Body Style. Crew Cab, plow prep, 8' bed, 6.0L, 4800 front axel. She was designed to handle the plow in question.

17. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Doesn't surprise me. I had big problems with some mounts I bought. Welds were something a 2 year old would lay. The new MVP I got had some gnarly undercut welds on the box of the plow. Course I can hear it now..."Western stands behind its product.....thanks for your money....we can buy more Chinese parts now." Good luck.

18. scottL

Anyone know what their max height is as measured from the bottom of the blade to the ground? ( MVP Plus )

19. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

Dont have a MVP plus but i do have a MVP on a 03 2500HD DMax.
    The way i have mine chained I have around 6 inches when angled left or right,
    and 18 or 20 inches when straight.

20. scottL

THANKS. I suspect the MVP Plus shouldn't be much different. This weekend I will be mounting, measuring taking pictures, etc. All in effort to push info to western and chevy.