1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Height of trip edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Sep 17, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at a used 09 X blade for my new/used truck. It is an 8.5 with the steel skin. It was run without a cutting edge. I'd like to know what the height of the trip edge is in inches without any wear to it at all. I'm trying to figure how much this thing has worn down. I know that it can wear some as long as it doesn't get too far. Why someone would want to run a plow with no edge is beyond me though. Thanks for any help. Nick.

2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the stock edge is 8" could be wrong though

3. oldmankent

Are we talking about the same thing? If I go to Fisher's site and look at the parts list for the Xblade. They call it the "base angle". Part number 78. Is that 8" tall? Plow has no actual bolt on cutting edge at the moment. Thanks, Nick.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As long as the base angle is long enough to bolt the cutting edge on, it's OK. And the factory base is not much longer than that anyway.

I think there are some options for X-blade edges, including a center punched reversible blade. Maybe that's the MC series, I forget....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. oldmankent

Good enough. Yeah. Definitely can bolt an edge on there. But there is a little smiley worn into it. Do any of you guys run poly edges on your fishers? I do a lot of gravel drives.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Smiley facing means the a-frame isn't sitting parallel to the ground when the blade is down and no pressure on the chain.

I never ran poly, did a bunch of gravel. Most guys that run poly are usually looking for weight savings, or doing pavers. If you do all gravel, some guys run a piece of steel pipe on the bottom of the cutting edge. They say it really helps early and late in the season if things haven't frozen solid.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

putting a cutting edge on a new fisher plow is redundant. A cutting edge goes no lower than the edge on a new plow., all you do by putting a cutting edge on a new plow is have twice the area sitting on the ground. Fisher plows have a built in cutting edge. When the wear gets enough you can put a new cutting edge on end of problem. Putting a cutting edge on a new plow provides no protection to the plow since both the cutting edge and the plow will wear.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya rite try that on an x blade or extreme v .They absolutelly need an edge on the from new. On a regular hd plow u are correct but there is no meat on a base angle of a x blade or extreme v. I guess some have never seen the base angle on a x blade or ex v plow. There is only 3 or 4 inches from the bolt holes to begin with. And x blades should use the center punched cutting egde. If not u have way way to much overhang off the base angle thats why they are centerpunched and reversable.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely cannot run an XV without cutting edges. There would be a big gap in the middle of the blade at the hinge. Looking at the current X blade pics and video, looks like you could run without a cutting edge for quite a while. The base angle goes all the way down to the bottom of the cutting edge. They have even added "high carbon steel wear pads" to the back of the base angle. Kind of like we used to get on the old conventional mount blades at the end of the base angle. They must have been getting some major cutting edge life complaints to add the welding and weight to the base angle.

The video shows it well about 1:30

http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/xblade

10. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I ran my 04 SS XBlade for some time without an edge . No problem . Eventually I bought the center punched edge and Fishers fixed bolt on curb/wear shoes . It was a nice set up .

11. oldmankent

So, assuming it isn't worn too much, what else should I look for when purchasing a fisher used. Never owned one before so I don't know what to look for. All the welds seemed solid and there is not much rust to speak of. I guess I should check the fluid. Anything else? Believe it has the intensifire lights too. Here is a pic first plow in row

12. oldmankent

No pics on the iPhone. Stand by

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Cant tell u how many x blades ive seen with a welded on cutting edge becase some meat head wore the base angle to the bolt holes.

14. oldmankent

Price is $3k.

image.jpeg

15. oldmankent

Not much of a photo. Sorry