1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Height of plow shoes

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LuffTruckingLLC, Nov 28, 2005.

1. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

I have a new never used 8' western plow. How low or high should the plow shoes be, or how high should the cutting edge be from the ground?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

On unfrozen surfaces like gravel, adjust the plow SO it's just off of the ground, 1/2 inch. For frozen or paved surfaces I don't use the shoes at all.

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

it really depends on what kind of surface your plowing, if there are manhole covers, paved, unpaved, condition of paving, etc..
    I set mine so the blade is just barely off the ground, but I plow lots that are smooth and well maintained.

4. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

If you do a search you will probably find more info..
    A lot of guys don't use shoes at all. I used them last year, kept them so I could just slide my finger underneath blade. This year I took them off to do a little cleaner job.

5. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

PVC Pipe on the cutting edge

A friend told me today during our Plowers BS session. He said this guy doesn't use shoes @ all but, when he wants to plow stone or gravel he bungy cords a length of PVC over the edge. This keeps the cutting edge from digging in.

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The shoes should be just a bit lower then the cutting edge, 1/2 to 3/4 inch.