1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hei distributor rebuild

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by n.g.ferlus, Mar 1, 2003.

1. n.g.ferlus

n.g.ferlus Junior Member
    from indiana

Using a ref. book to rebuild my dist. it says to use dielectric grease vunder the module and to fill the well under the plastic seal with grease. This has me confused. Is it the same area? same grease? should this be eng.assy.lube? or some other grease?
    Can anyone advise what grease goes where in in a dist.rebuild?
    thanks

2. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

If memory serves me......dielectric grease is an insulating-type grease as opposed to the usual lubricating-type grease. The dielectric grease should be available at auto parts stores ( some people use it on new plug wires where wire goes onto the plug ) or Radio Shack-type stores.........

Good luck........

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

what you want to do is to put the die-electric grease on the bottom of the module and assemble it.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have been told it helps absorb heat from the module, and transfers it to the dist. housing. It also helps insulate it from heat from the dist. housing (I know it sounds contadicting). In any event, the grease goes under the module.

~Chuck

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Chuck is correct,it's all about the transfer of heat from the module to the dist base.The dist base is like a big heat sink for the module.

I prefer to use heatsink paste,most electrical shops or computer shops will have it,much better heat transfer properties,and has good dielectric resistance if required.

6. n.g.ferlus

n.g.ferlus Junior Member
    from indiana

Thanks guys for the input but I am still unsure of where the grease should go. Under the module on the housing? When I took the dist. apart I took the c-clip out, pulled out the pick-up coil unit, removed the plastic seal and cleaned out the hardened grease in the grease well as my manual says. This is where it says to put grease so I am assuming I can put dielectric grease in this well and also put it under the control module??
    Rebuilding the dist. doesn't seem to be hard for me to figure out but I seem to be brain dead on this grease issue.
    Thanks again for the replies.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't really need any grease under the plastic seal.The shaft is oil lubricated,so you don't require grease.

Only place I ever put any grease is under the module,and a little bit in the little connectors.