1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavy,wet snow ...same price?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joestruck, Feb 25, 2010.

1. joestruck

joestruck Junior Member

Looking for reasonable and thoughtful responses from people who have success in overcoming this old question that always comes up .

As a customer,should I expect to pay more for a heavy wet snowstorm than my normal set price?

As the plow guy, a customer is essentially "buying my time" and equipment for the convenience of snow removal.

Other issue is if you have two trucks ,both take longer to plow the route,so the operators are getting paid more;so if you charge the same price you make less money which is the bottom line.

Let me know,thanks

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

how much wet heavy snow we talking

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Powder or concrete it all costs the same. My trigger is 2" and I will plow it every 2" to try to keep my route times down :)

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Doesn't matter how wet and heavy it is, for me it's how much accumulation. 3" of fluff or 3" of wet stuff is still charged the same. After 4" of either the price goes up equally.

5. joestruck

joestruck Junior Member

About 6" when rain hit... we have some sidewalks in the route.so timing is important prior to the snow getting too heavy

As far a 2" maintenance pushes go, we pushed off the heavy snow early to hit every one at least once, then any "slush" build up we go back for to clean up.

My belief is this is the type of storm where the customers are very very pleased to see the plow guy move the cement at the end of the driveway....and the neighbors are looking out wishing they had a plow guy.

But still takes more time and ALOT more wear and tear....

6. joestruck

joestruck Junior Member

For the record I do the same...right now I go by accumulation no matter what.

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Same here! :salute:

8. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Hi customer, sorry but have to charge 10 bucks more for your driveway cuz the snow was wet....,
    reply:........ WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! SLAMMMMMMMMMMM door on face..

9. starc

starc Senior Member

Do you charge less when it's an easy push ?

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All the same to me.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Agreed! Plowing circles all day isn't much fun but just try to keep up!!

12. joestruck

joestruck Junior Member

Thanks guys. majority rules. Going to stop worrying about it.

13. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

If you have a contract in inches, that is what you should charge. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug. That the way it is. Unless you charge hourly. Obviously you get less on the fluff, and more on the peanut butter.:laughing:

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

well said.

You need to price at a point where the good storms make up for the really lousy ones like this.

15. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Just got finished plowing 24 hrs straight in 2' of wet heavy snow. All of my contracts , commercial and res, get charged the same as agreed. However my phone was ringing off the hook with residents wanting plow outs. I charged $45 for a one car drive and up to $90 for a larger res. Im talking 2 plus feet of wet stuff. A few tried to complain , i said call someone eles, but thay all agreed. I mean If you call me for service and the drive has not been plowed at all I am certainly going to charge at least 2x or 3x my rate for a job. It was terrible. I had to put 6' piles in front of this guys garage, backdragging was not an option. I gave each of them my card and said a contract would avoid this. Also I have a route and it takes me time to make a run out of the way, so they get serviced last.

16. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

If you bid it right it will all even out in the end. Some days you'll plow 3" so fast that you feel like you're stealing. The next time you're plowing 3" of wet heavy crap and you think that you are getting screwdrivered! But, it still balances out if you bid it right to start with.

17. joestruck

joestruck Junior Member

Echoing the same thoughts here as many of you have written. Thank you all for your replies.ussmileyflag

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The problem with charging different prices is that who would decide if it's "wet snow" or if it's "heavy"?

At what point does snow go from being dry to being wet? At what point does snow become heavy?

Too many variables exist for this to be worthwhile IMO.

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah. Don't always bid stuff thinking about the "easy" snowfalls.

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I charge per push and I charge the same price for heavy snow and lite snow.