1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Tripedge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought my plow blade second hand and it had an aftermarket cutting edge on it which is quite a bit larger than the cutting edge that Fisher sells. It is the Fisher 8' HD MM 2.

The extra weight of the cutting edge seems to push the tripedge back too easily, it rolls back under the plow more than it should. I can easily push the tripedge back with my foot.

It seems that the only solutions might be stronger springs, a lighter cutting edge or just live with it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

how much life do you have left on the edge?

3. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

There's a ton of life left in it, it sticks down 3" from the bottom of the tripedge. The one good thing about the heavy duty edge is that it backdrags just awesome.

4. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Umm if they put on some overside edge. You wore out your springs and have to replace them. New springs and the sorrect edge. You pretty much answered you own question

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I have the same edge on mine; put new springs on it and it helps alot, but the bigger edge changes the geometry of the trip function allowing it to trip easier than the regular edge.

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well you have added more leverage to compress the springs but I would guess that the extra couple of inches are really not going to be to blame for the fact your springs are that soft. To be able to push that back with your foot says you have about nothing left for springs.
    You most certainly need to buy a new set of springs and of course you will see a HUGE change in all that . I have a 8' Fisher plow on the front of a JD tractor and because of the low gearing; and superior traction, you can put alot more strain on the cutting edge at very low speeds compared to a pickup.
    It can put some serious hurt onto the springs and I now take a spare spring and cut it into three pieces; and put it in there for extra [I had to make a compressor to get them in there] stiffness under each spring and it makes a big difference ; So maybe thats an option as well? Remember anytime you change things around; it will effect something else! Good Luck.

You could also just add a spacer to preload the spring; but then you will lose some of the travel. There are custom spring outfits; that make springs up out of stock that is flat that can be made up to take much more to compress them and they have the advantage of being able to compress a greater distance; even though they are the same overall lengh to start with . I have though about getting a set for the tractor ;and having them made to need around 30% more force to compress them! Had the same problem years ago with Aeronca Champ airplane landing gear strut springs, got a set made up [that were of course not FAA approved] and they held it up much better and had a much longer travel ; the plane is still flying with them and it is now over 25 years later!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  7. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

You have to wonder why they make the aftermarket edge so much bigger than the stock Fisher edge. It probably has something to do with material costs. When I bought the plow, from the used plow dealer, he had several plows just like it and some had the larger edge, some didn't. I got the one I bought because it had the rubber foil on the top and the cutting edge looked beefier.

I am hesitant to just change the springs with the amount of life the heavier cutting edge has left in it, the springs would just weaken again. I'd like to upgrade to a 8.5' plow anyway, so maybe when the guy gets one in he'll take this one back in trade.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They make edges in certain sizes- 6 inch, 8 inch and 10 inch. Remember edges in most cases fit multiple plows, not just Fishers.
    The previous owner chose to put on an 8 inch edge is what happened, most of us choose a 6 inch (the "norm" for these plows because of exactly what you are describing- it's caused by the leverage not the weight.
    Edges are also available in different thicknesses- 3/8 and 1/2 are the most common- the bigger and thicker the edge the longer it will last in general- you just have to choose the correct edge for your application. Don't mess with the springs, take that edge off and put on a 6" edge (and make sure your a-frame is level to the ground like it is supposed to be because that will affect the angle of the edge and cause it to trip more among other issues). Edges are cheap enough and I'm sure an add on Craigs list or here will get you a buyer for the too big edge. FWIW, it's not common to need to change springs on Fisher plows from age, use, weakening, etc - only rust.

9. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

You are spot on mate, it is 7.5" wide and 1/2" thick. Quite a hunk of metal. The trip edge is 5" wide, so the 6" might be perfect. Perhaps the previous owner wanted to keep the plow on the ground for backdragging, I only have one house that I do backdragging at so the 6" would be fine.

I am assuming that these heavier edges are aftermarket? I'll be shopping around for a 6".

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8" edge that is 5/8" thick on my 8 foot diamond with no issues at all. It is the old style diamond that has horizontal springs that run along the bottom of the trip edge. This thing scrapes like no tomorrow. Seems like your springs are weak.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The 8 inch is "aftermarket" in that Fisher does not sell them. TJS your Diamond and his Fisher are 2 different animals - I'm jealous of your Diamond and it's performance, and would do the same conversion you laid out if I were to stumble on a blade like that. Fisher HD blades, ALL of them going back to the Speedcasters as far back as the late 1970's, have issues with 8 inch cutting edges chattering and tripping easily- they were not designed for such long edges and new factory springs will not solve the problem, only custom made springs would work to alleviate it, and then when you wear it down to the proper size (6 inches and shorter) it will be a beast to get to trip properly. Remember when Fisher designed that blade it was not designed for a cutting edge at all- you were supposed to wear the trip edge down to the spring mounts (or into them) then replace the whole trip edge!

MossMan you can run a little without a trip edge it you want- you should get about 2 inches of wear from an edge before replacement (of a 6 inch edge) and it the plows trip edge is 5 inches there is, in theory, another inch of wear possible from the edge before a cutting edge is even required - not all plows behave properly (see my photo album for example of one not behaving correctly - 12 years of commercial plowing and not wearing right at all) it's the spring mounts that will determine how much you can let the trip edge wear.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Id say the xblade is a lot alike the diamond in the attack angle and curl