1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavy snow today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

anyone else from northern New England think the plowing today sucked big time?

i plowed this association road that took me 2 freakin hours!
    it was all down hill but no where to off load the heavy went snow when it built up.
    i wish i had a v plow!
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Not enough here for me to push. Heard it was wet and heavy up north though. Lots of power outages with limbs down and such.
  3. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

It was not a hard push here, thought we were in for heavy wet but turned powdery, not a half bad push except for drifts.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i'm right on the coast.. at points we had some rain mix. but for the most part it was just heavy damp snow.
  5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm on the coast too (washington county) and it was wet here as well. Definately more than a foot of snow. I've plowed worse though. This time, it started as rain and quickly turned to snow, so it wasn't too bad. The worst is when it snows a foot and then changes to rain, making wet cement.

I'm still moving snow, as driveways are soooooo tight now, many are barely accessible. I can't complain at all, it all goes on the bottom line. At least another day of tractor work. Got drains to open up too, as we've got a rain storm coming in on Friday.
  6. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

It was an all-time worst here in Camden. 13 inches of wet heavy snow, with a nice slab of wet cement at the bottom. It took me several hours to do my 1000 foot road. With the snow banks on either side of the road so high from last Thursday's storm (which sucked almost as bad), the snow couldn't roll off the blade to the side and just piled up in front until the truck couldn't push the weight anymore. I actually had to hand shovel the friggin' pile several times, what a nightmare.

And anything you drove over became impossible to plow up--a lot of us around here had several humps in the driveway that we couldn't scrape up.

I abused my truck terribly, too, trying to push that much weight. Total nightmare.

Today a guy came by with a 9-foot wing plow to knock back the banks on either side of the road. Well worth the $75 it cost.

We getting rain on Friday? Then sounds like maybe more snow next week.
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict