1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Equipment Productivity

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MIDTOWNPC, Mar 15, 2010.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I currently look after
    5 - Large Residential
    2 - 1 to 1.5 Acre Facilities
    30 - Smaller (car wash/gas station/strip mall/dr office/plaza/resturant)
    1 - Apartment Complex with 25 Town houses.

I do this all with

Truck with wideout and ebling rear blade
    Truck with mvp
    Truck with sander
    Bobcat S300

They are very close and we have no problems currently completing them all before the times they are do and infact on lighter snow falls 2 to 4 inches the Truck with Mvp takes the sander and we cut a man out. I am just wondering how a tractor would fit into all this and what size tractor and blade is most effecient for me.

Im wondering if I could run a tractor with a 10ft box to 14ft blade? and eliminate the bobcat and a truck. What size tractor?

Do I buy new can I get used. I dont want to sell anything I would just like to add equipment and hopefully be able to then either eliminate a man, or be able to take on more.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'd say your doing pretty good for 2 pick-ups and a skid...

Good luck with getting more nice contracts to make the tractor work :drinkup:

3. MIDTOWNPC

Well I have a 3rd pickup but I only have
    myself and 2 other guys. 1 of the guys dad would jump in anytime if we needed him but we havent in 2 years.

What is the tractor you have with the blower?

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

its just a small little deere 3720 for doing all my interals and sidewalks... Gonna try running a 7' bobcat v blade with it this coming winter doing small stuff and prepping some of the lots for me to come in and rock out with the boss and elbing saving me alot of time dinkering around...

5. MIDTOWNPC

Thats kinda what we do with the skid.

He goes to 1 of the large yards and punches out in between all the lumber piles, trailers and loading docks. Squares it off sort of. I go an do the other larger yard and I can do all the docks myself just like the bobcat by having the ebling. I finish mine for 4am then head to the next big yard and everything is ready to move... he then heads on a new route thru the downtown and does condos, apartments ect and in between all the parking spots and tight spaces. My other guy plows a route and salt/sands behind us or I call in another guy to sand behind us all if its a heavier storm. We are all within a 5 mile radius.

I know NOTHING about tractors. Especially the weights and how much power you need.
    I like skids but I have a single speed and its soooo slow.

I dont know what to get / do. Its a good problem to need an expense.

I know next year I have everything I had this year, cause its all 2 year. I also know tehre might be a good amount of stuff available if I want it cause I would even pay for it.

Dean

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think you have things well in hand, and so if you buy the tractor, the contracts well come. Good job in organizing your buisness

7. MIDTOWNPC

8. MIDTOWNPC

Thanks

if a tractor can allow me to be home earlier all washed up and sending out the bills then Im intersted. I just dont know I want a giant JD 6000 series monster in my front lot.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

it seems like you are already working pretty efficiently, do you have summer work for the tractor? I would think if you are already working that well, it may be time for another employee/sub

10. MIDTOWNPC

No I dont do anything in summer. I use the skid here and there in the summer for stuff around the plaza.

but really my skid, trailer and trucks sit for the summer

I have always had a hard time with employees. I am younger and they are always older.

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My biggest question is do you have a summer use for a tractor.
    If not I would look at a 2 speed skid. I have a 2 speed S300 and I could not imagine running around in low all the time.
    Robert

12. MIDTOWNPC

No use in the summer for a tractor.

2 speed skid would be $50 000.... would a tractor at 1.5x the price not out perform the skid to the equivilent.

Toolcat then maybe?

Its the 4inch plus storms that I want to make go faster.

13. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I would have to agree with this. We use both tractors and skids, unless you are plowing very large area's, or area's with long push's I would recommend 2 speed skids over tractors. Ours skids plow two thirds the area of our tractors and the cost half as much. I'm sure you can do the math. The new skids travel both directions in high speed which really increases productivity. Your S300 with the right tires, operator and plow will push just as much or more than the tractor you posted. My two cents anyway.

14. A Man

A Man Senior Member

A collegue of mind just picked up a brand new s300 two speed, comfort cab, acs controls, heat ac ec..... for $29500. A jd 6430 will be 65+

15. MIDTOWNPC

I have a S300 single speed.
    I have not priced a skid in a while perhaps I should look again.

I really dont have that many big lots.

So Im guessing your saying this because of the weight of the tractor vs the skid correct?

Thanks in advance for any imput.

I could sell my single speed privately and get a new skid 2 speed skid.

16. rob_cook2001

A brand new S300 with cab and 2 speed for 29,500??? Sounds about 10k to low to be even believable.

17. rob_cook2001

All I know about your business is what you have just told us but I think this is your best option. Get a fully loaded S300 with 2 speed. Put wolfpaw tires on it and a nice plow (I will be putting a 9ft Snow wolf on mine this year) and I think you will be very happy. Even with my little 8ft bobcat plow my S300 will move some snow:drinkup:
    Robert

18. A Man

A Man Senior Member

You know, I think you're right, my bad, I think it was 39500, I'll check again. Thanks

19. rob_cook2001

Thats still a good deal, but believable lol When I bought my 08 S300 A91 package I also bought a 80inch lp bucket with teeth, a 8ft snowplow and tire chains. My machine was a demo with 70 hours and I paid $45,000 even.
    Robert

20. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you know for the work you listed, a used toolcat might be the route to go. get turbo, i don't think you need high flow. I have seen them used in the low 20's. I am sure you can find a use for it in the summer around the house even...

I maintained 1.5 miles of private roads with over 200ft of total vertical during our 90 inch winter. you can even put a small salt dog in the back and salt/sand. I have a bucket, plow, sweeper, blower, and ice scraper. Just bought chains...just incase....

plus there is a hack that can get the machine to 25mph with taller tires....if you need to run down the road alot.