1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy equipment operator school

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by adam5557, Sep 28, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey i was curious if any of you ever attended a heavy equipment operator school and if so any reccomendations for some one thinking about attending one. I was looking at one called atsn and it was something liek 11 weeks total long.thanks.adam
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

when we hire operator's i dont care 'bout the schollin i just see how well ADAPTABLE they are to machines that dosent mean if they can operate a machine well but they can learn, DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY either you got it or you dont. i have a real good friend that went to len tech and it cost hom 16k and didn't learn him much but he was good before he left
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

i went to operators school. in kelso,wa i have a 150 ton latace crane license and a 100 ton hydrolic crane license. i also have a class a cdl with a double trailer and a hazmat cert. also i'm a certified welder in g3 and g4 unlimited. but thats irelivent. oh and i have a 150 ton master license(boat captain) thats my summer job.
  4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I was looking into the same type of school, It looks like it will be great.
  5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Education is never a bad thing.

Education is never a bad thing.I am sure if you go into it with an open mind you will learn a bunch,who knows maybe even the correct way to run a machine.
  6. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Well its mostly hands on training website is www.atsn-schools.com if anyone wants to look and i am also looking at a local union in our area that does an apprenticeship.thanks guys
  7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

8. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Try the union? Most unions have a apprentist program I'm a member of local 4 and I went to thier school and got an unlimited crain licence they also offered a cdl cource I already have mine with all the indorsements the best part about the union is you are getting paid while your learning? Just my 02:cool:
  9. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Yea earnies2 thanks for the info i know a local union by me that is for operating engineers and i believe they have a apprentice program. Could you give me some info on the salarys of heavy equipment operators and any pros and cons of the job.Thank you.
  10. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

It varies by aera or state in boston we're probbley the higest in the nation at just under $37 plus your bennies and $4. per hr goes into your retirement.I belive our apprentest program starts out at $18-$24 dollars per hour depending on how long you have been in the program it is a 4 year program most people dont last but they regret it later when their working for $25 an hour and labering also>>>>>:cool: oh btw during the summer i work 70+hours a week and i get laid off in the winter and collect $525 per week in unimployment nice country we live in.....
  11. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey sounds goood earnie. I think i will be going into that.any other comments anyone??