1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavy equipment certification

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by willer, Jan 2, 2008.

1. willer

willer Junior Member
    from yes

Im working in a fleet maintainance management company for the past 3 years, i know how to drive trucks but im not certified. I want to get more money , more salary , i need to get certified is there any way i can be certified to operate heavy equipments.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Take a class, some are offered at your local Tech school

Iv'e been operating heavy equipment for someone else/hire since 1980
    I hold no certificates.
    A lot of these classes only teach you safety and the basics of operation.
    How could they cover all the different kinds of equipment?

Why would a CO. wants to hire a new-be to operate their 100k+ piece of equipment?
    Most operators worked there way up thought the ranks.

I guess it will look good on a resume if you wish to operate the D1...

Yea I realize out east there up tight and may require a certificate but most places would rather have experience...

jmo>

3. pioneer123

pioneer123 Junior Member

you could also check this website....i believe its www.ats.com its associated training services. it will certify you and any kind of heavy equipment you want including a class A CDL

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

whats a certificatoin..lol

i just turn the key and go.......

5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

you forgot to floor it

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

illl keep that in mind.... i think you only really need a "certification" if your goona take the space shuttle out of earths natural orbit.... :salute:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I like people who say "How do you run it?"

My answer is start puling\pushing levers, buttons, switches whatever until it does what you want it to do.

Go from there.

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i think thats how i learned how to operate a loader , a dozer , a bobcat, excavator, and........................ EVERYTHING

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I thought thats how we all learned it......unless your a "newbie" and "have a few questions"......:eek: J/K newbies

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know whats funny, the EO, (equiptment operators) with in the seabees... basicly thats there schooling...they march them out to a big field , like 2 miles away from anything... give them lots of toys to play with and just tell them to dig holes, and move earth.... later they get more dirrections, and prints to try to spec up against, but basicly...here you go....nothing to hit

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm an O E 30+yrs. There is more to it than you think...Careful what you post....

12. Mark Oomkes

So rather than just posting the above, why don't you elaborate and help the OP?

After all, that's what the whole thread is about.

13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

There is a lot of schooling to do before you are a journey man...4 yrs apprenticeship to become a journey man..In WI..

14. Mark Oomkes

Thanks, much better. :rolleyes:

15. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

UNITED RENTALS tests & certifies on all heavy equipment.