1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy duty Spring(s)?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by whitelite, Nov 8, 2010.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

I've got a 2000 7' Minute Mount on a 1998 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Diesel 4x4. I've had troubles with the bottom trip edge (tripping) at just about anything. I plow mostly dirt roads that don't freeze hard and I end up with the trip edge flipping back and scrapping off road base or popping up and down and gouging driveways. Which my customers have complained about.

Last year I replaced all of the original springs (3) and added another Fisher factory spring, this helped somewhat but it still isn't like my other plow systems without the "bottom trip edge".

Maybe I'm the only one that has had this problem and maybe not. Anyway, I would like comments and especially from those who have been able to overcome these problems.

Fisher doesn't make extra heavy duty springs so I was thinking about welding up 1 or 2 truck coil springs in the same manner as the Fisher setup, but if there is another solution I would like to know.

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

You need shoes on the plow. What you are experiencing is completly normal when not using them. You either need to raise the plow to be just above the surface or use the shoes so you don't have to lift the plow. So the plow actually rides on the shoes and not the edge. If your doing all dirt driveways you would want the shoes to lift the edge of the plow by about 1/8-1/4".

3. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Also if the A frame on the plow isnt level that could also make it trip easier. Goodluck

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent point. The more the rear of the a-frame is lifted, the easier the blade will trip.

OP - do you have big tires or a lift? You may need to modify your mount to get it low enough.

5. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks for the advise. I've got shoes and have tried to raise the plow with little success. These country driveways are a lot up and down, so when the blade is up a little, going over a little ridge it leaves a mound of snow and then going down the other side and up again the angle down catches the dirt and gouges it. Ticking the plow up with shoes hasn't helped.

I did have the "A" frame adjusted and it's level so that's not the issue either. Back dragging works the best, but what a pain.

Just yesterday I lifted up the plow and put my foot on the blade and was able to push it about 3 inches. My thinking is that with that little pressure as soon as I encounter a low spot where the blade hits it will fold back and just scrape and then when it becomes more level it will pop back and gouge the driveway.

That is why I'm thinking of a heavy spring attachement of some sort will keep it from folding and digging in and popping back so easily. Everything else about the plow works great and especially on pavement or frozen solid dirt, but that isn't usually what I plow.

Our other plow trucks with full plow trips, instead of bottom plow trips, work much better on dirt.

6. BoulderBronco

You're saying you were able to push the trip edge 3" with just your foot? Ok, thats not normal. Something is wrong. Have you inspected the springs?

7. whitelite

whitelite Member

Yes I know that's not normal. I've contacted Fisher Customer Service department for help also.
    Last year I welded the 4th factory spring on to help it from not tripping and at the same time had the "A" frame adjusted so that it was level. I also replaced the original springs with Fisher replacement springs, so they've only been used one year. The plow came with 3 springs and now has 4 and still has this problem with dirt and gravel---not level pavement.

I haven't plowed this year yet, but because of the dirt roads I plow, the customers have complained about gouging and pushing off the road base, so I've gotten on this site and asked questions of people that plow gravel. Some recommened schedule 80 pipe put on the cutting edge which is supposed to work well and not scrape or gouge.

I also found out from people here, Sedalia Colorado, that use a pipe system that they love it for dirt and gravel. So, I have welded on a 2" solid steel pipe to the cutting edge at the recommendation of people out this way. Maybe the weight of the bar is what makes it so easy to push with my foot, so that is why I was thinking about heavy duty springs and the solution. None of those that recommened this have the Fisher bottom trip edge.

Thanks for the concern and advise.

Lowell

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  8. BoulderBronco

Well the tripping is just the nature of dirt roads. But that 2" bar must be a beast for weight. No wonder it's tripping all the time. I still say use the shoes as that is what they were designed for. Like you said your going to leave a bit of snow but again, thats the nature of dirt roads. The Fisher trip edge is completly different than what everyone else runs around here so I would be cautious about doing what the others are doing. It also doesn't seem like round bar is going to help much. Once it starts to wear it's just going to trip like any other edge but then you have the added weight of the bar. I would go shoes.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are a couple of your trip springs retracted and pinned?

10. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks,

I probably didn't make this to clear, I haven't plowed yet since I put the bar on. It was tripping last year with shoes, the extra spring and the "A" frame leveled.

The round bar is 2" and probably will take a long time to wear down as compared to 3/8" or 1/2" cutting edge. When it does it will just be cut off. Until then just trying to make this work for this year.

Seems like any time you adjust anything with the vehicle, it always requires something else to be adjusted (i.e. lifted vehicles, engine mods, heavy bumpers, etc.) Looks like the same with trying to please customers who feel cheated if I leave to much snow because I lifted the cutting edge or because I gouged and pushed off their road base. The bar is supposed to just glide over the surface without cutting, gouging or pushing off road base.

I checked everything I could find on this web site about this (putting a pipe/bar on the plow), and everyone that used the rounded pipe or bar loved it and recommended it's use. I checked around here where I live and got the same advise-----------so that's why I put it on--------advise from experience and to please customers.

If I use the pipe or get another straight cutting edge, I'm still having the continuing tripping issue that our other trucks don't have (they trip, but nothing like this plow), I'm thinking because of the bottom trip edge design on dirt. Either way need to do something. :(

Regards,
    Lowell

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  11. whitelite

whitelite Member

Nope, fully extended and working-- I've looked at them----- they were new last year. 3 came with the plow and it tripped so bad on the dirt roads around here that last year I added another spring and replaced the originals with Fisher springs. That did help but it still tripped too much last season.

I think now that adding the additional weight of the bar on the cutting edge is just going to exacerbate the problem.-----(-Haven't plowed yet this year-)-----so before the season gets too far in I'm trying to find a solution that maybe someone out there knows or has done.

I was thinking that a small truck coil spring welded in the same manner as the fisher springs only much heavier duty would solve the problem, but I'm not going to go to that expense and effort if I'm just going to add another problem. Better yet is if Fisher made a stiffer spring for the same assembly.:nod:

Again thanks for the thoughts!

Lowell

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I think part of the problem is you've got a small plow on a heavy truck, I'd be interested to see if you had the same problem if you switched to an 8' blade.

13. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The pipe should definitely help, it really does work well. The biggest problem I've had with tripping is having a cutting edge on that was taller than stock. The added leverage made it trip all the time. That being said, I do not think you should be able to push the trip edge 3" with your foot, sounds as though your springs are not preloaded enough, like maybe your original springs were longer than the replacements or something weird. Some pics might help us help you.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can push the tripedge back three inches with your foot, something is drastically wrong.