1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy duty pusher for 85,000 lb. loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by kcress31, Nov 20, 2010.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I am thinking of putting our 85,000 lb. 980 H loader to work this winter pushing snow. I am thinking of putting a 14 ft pro tech Super Duty Loader model on it. l know I could go bigger than a 14 ft but it would limit the machine as to where it could fit. The pusher has a 60 inch moldboard and is supposed to carry up to 27 yds of snow. Does any one have any experience with pushers and a loader of this size? Any other brand experience and reccomendations would be appreciated.

jcctrainnov5 005.jpg

product-superduty.jpg

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I think you will fold that thing up like a taco

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yeah I agree, that pro-tech isn't built for a machine that big. They are built very well, but that 980 is a big boy with lots and lots of power. Heck I bet you would bend the bucket mount on the pusher and not even know it just by putting the pusher down.

4. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I haven't seen one in person so I don't know how heavy they are built. I hope there is someone on the site with any related experience so I can make a better decision before I shell out $10,000 for a (taco)pusher. I do know a regular pro tech loader 14 ft model is 2350 lbs and the 14 ft Super Duty loader model I am considering is 3800 lbs. This model can be ordered up to 30 foot width ( 8400 lbs ), so it should be built fairly strong. The side plates are 5 foot 2 inches high and 7 foot 4 inches inches long.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Protech lists the 30' model as suitable for a 980. They show using a 950 or 962 with the 14 foot model.

http://www.snopusher.com/Resources/SnoPusherSelectorChart.aspx

I'm guessing they recommend the bigger machines for the bigger pushers due to traction weight?

I would call Pro-Tech for their advice.

What kind of areas will you be using it, and who will be running it?

6. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You're worried about being limited where it would fit with a big pusher?
    No offence Kress but that funny!!
    How wide is your bucket on that monster now?
    I'd be more concerned about having to repave whatever you're plowing in the spring.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

check out degelmann, they make some really heavy duty boards.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be worried about the pavement also, Actually I wouldn't even drive it on any. I do think the pusher will be fine on it as long as the operator isn't an animal.

10. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Look at the skid its tiny compared to the cat!

11. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Haha, that 980 would be an animal pushing snow. I would be worried about hitting a curb or man hole and not even know it

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

From an expense perspective, Is it practical to operate that large of a machine with such a small pusher? I realize they are easy hours, but they are still hours.

Any chance leasing it out to an airport or something?

13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Weight would be the biggest concern... They use loaders of that size at airports, but not many other places.

14. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

we had the exact cat with a 16 avalanche on it and it was awesome but it was in a 119 acre parking lot so space was not an issue then we moved it to our dump site and used it for pushing back the piles

that being said I am gonna go with sectional next time i like their idea

15. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

What kind of areas will you be using it, and who will be running it?

I will be using mainly for our larger wide open lots. I will probably be running myselft most of the time.

You're worried about being limited where it would fit with a big pusher?
    No offence Kress but that funny!!
    How wide is your bucket on that monster now?
    I'd be more concerned about having to repave whatever you're plowing in the spring.

We have quite a few lots where the pushes are a good 1000 ft but the width is somewhat limited in certain spots, plus roading the machine with a 12 ft is a little scary in traffic. The Bucket on there now is about 11 ft 10 inches wide.

From an expense perspective, Is it practical to operate that large of a machine with such a small pusher? I realize they are easy hours, but they are still hours.

Any chance leasing it out to an airport or something?

As far as an expense it is pretty good on fuel when it is running wide open so I can see it burning a lot less with just snow to push. As far as the hours go we have a good rate set for it to push snow if we decide to go that route.

Even though a 14 footer is not all that wide what I am interested in is being able to push 27 + yards of snow for each push. Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming.

16. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

The pavement will be fine if you wait for the ground to freeze hard first. We built a 24 ft box for a John Deere 844 not quite as big as yours but pretty good sized. It had 6 ft molboard and the end plates stuck out a little over 5 ft. it weighed in about 11,000 lbs. We covered alot of ground with that and never bent a thing alot depends on the operator, but its alot like any equipent weight equals strength. Off the top of my head here are a few specs wear shoes were T1 2"x6" side plates were half inch the braces that go from the molboard to the outer corners were 5x5 by half inch wall the main beam across the back was a 24 inch I beam that came out of an old building the tubes that you slip your bucket in were 6"x8" half inch wall. I remember we would tie up with another loader with a 20 ft box on it and the pile in front of us would be out there 40 ft or more

17. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I would call Horst (they are here in Ontario) and tell them your situation. They build nice custom stuff for good prices and I am sure they will be able to make you a pusher that will stand up to your application. For some better pricing maybe call Jeff at Stewarts as he usually passes along a good portion of his discount on custom build applications. 519 833 9616. We run a 14 ft HD high volume (24 yrd capacity) horst pusher on our 45 000lb 821. Just a thought and good luck. tymusic

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  18. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks for the information Doug and Snowlord. I will have to check out the Horst stuff and see what they have. Doug, would you know what your high capacity 14 ft Horst weighs?

19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Peronally I can't see any ROI using that loader for snow removal unless it's doing a 30 foot swath. It's a tad overkill.
    If you just want to keep the iron rolling through the winter maybe consider putting a ripper on the back.

I would call Horst too. See if they're interested in a custom job either way.

20. pushinpaul

pushinpaul Member

We run a 966G with a 14 ft wide snow basket. If you have to re-locate any of the snow your pushing over a short distance(aka move it within the site), there is no better way to go. Our baskets are custom built by us, but Henke produces a commercial version and could probably custom build something bigger than their largest standard model for your big boy. They also build heavy duty airport type pushers as well. I have no idea what their pricing is on any of their products, but as far as quality is concerned - we have a family friend who runs nothing but Henke V-blades on his fleet of Volvo loaders because he was so impressed by them. Hope this helps. Beautiful loader btw!