1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Heavy Duty" power steering pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dave_Dean, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

Anybody ever heard of a "heavy duty" powersteering pump? I have developed a leak from the pump behind the pully and rather than replace it with a standard one I would like to upgrade if that is possible. A hydrolic winch is on the way and will be running off the steering pump. Anyone ever put a smaller pully on the pump with good results? Thanks

By the way the "lincoln lockers" help up great this week end and the added traction is awesome.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Never heard of one,i would think if one was avaliable it would have a larger displacement pump,and have a slightly higher pressure setting.I thought the pumps were rated by GPM and pressure at a constant RPM.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

There are aftermarket high output pumps available for adding winches and such.Have heard a lot of negative comments saying they aren't much better than OEM,so shop around.

The smaller pulley will help,especially with low speed steering,and using a winch with the truck idling.The truck may get a little twitchy on the highway though.Try looking for a pump or pulley from a GM 3.8L V6,they seem to have the smallest pulley available.Made a big difference on our trucks with heavy front ends and bigger tires.

4. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

Thanks Wyldman!