1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Duty Clutch

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by rabbit43, Apr 10, 2011.

1. rabbit43

rabbit43 Junior Member
    from MA & NY

The clutch on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler burned out. I use the Jeep it to plow a steep 800 foot driveway and also general driving. I'm trying to find a replacement heavy duty clutch and finding it difficult to sort out the various options, Stage 1 or 2 or ... clutch; availability of replacements for a 2009 Jeep. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Get a quality made in the USA clutch and don't blame the clutch. Don't slip the clutch when you plow. Use the right gear. Use your low range to start, then upshift. I have never burned out a clutch plowing. Nor have my drivers. Use the right gear to start off, then upshift. Keep that left foot off the clutch pedal. It is not a footrest. When you plow, your clutch should either be fully disengaged, with your foot on it, or fully engaged, with your foot off it.
  3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

X2 on not burning a clutch out. The JK Wrangler engine isn't exactly a torque monster, select a lower gear. I plowed with a YJ Wrangler and OEM style LUK clutch, sometimes it would get hot a chatter a bit, but that was it.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I found its usually at the end of the push that people slip the clutch while trying to slow down while stacking.

As for a heavy duty clutch I put a heavy duty in my 2000 jeep and found that after 6 or 7 hours of plowing my left knee was a little sore (could be its 56 years old) so when the through bearing went bad I put a stock clutch back in... No knee pain after 20 hours of plowing :)
  5. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

My throw out bearing went out on my 94 YJ in December 2010. Put a Exedy clutch kit in. Plowed with it fine the rest of the winter. I used Low gear quite a bit......mines a 4cyl.