1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Duty Clutch for snow service necessary?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Phil22, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Phil22

Phil22 Junior Member
    from Germany

Dear fellows,

I have a vintage Meyer Plow on my M38A1 which I use these snowy days (10 inches - not much).
    I experienced that my clutch smells (the clutch linkage has enough play, clutch an pressure plate are 5,000 miles old) and fear to burn it totally.

So the question is:
    - Is that normal in snow service (The series clutch was laid out for jeep + trailer use, should be strong enough?)
    - Is the series clutch / pressure plate normally strong enough?
    - If not, is there a heavy duty clutch available on the market for the CJ5 with T90 transmission.

What is your experience with your jeeps - do you plow with the built in series clutch?

I appreciate any advice,

thank you in advance friends.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No, having a smell is not normal

series clutch?
    never herd of it. then I know nothing about the M38A1

start the jeep
    step on the clutch
    put the tranny in 3rd gear
    Rev the engin up to 3000 RPM
    move your foot off the cluych to the side so the pedle snaps up and floor the gass at the same tim
    IF the jeep stalls = clutch is good and its the driver
    IF the jeep does not stall its the clutch.

when plowing use low range
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

You say to plow in low range. Do you leave it in 4lo while traveling between driveways also? I just bought my first jeep to plow with and have been plowing in 4hi the whole time. Any help would be appriciated.

4. danskool

danskool Junior Member

Well that is why your getting the smell.. Need to plow in 4low.. 4high is ruff on clutches. If your traveling between driveways and need to go over what 5th gear low has to offer. Then switch to 4 high to travel. I tried 4high when plowing and i thought WOW.. My clutch will be shot if i keep doing it this way.. The only sucky part in 4low, is reverse gear. SLOW !