1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavy duty battery wires?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bersh, Dec 2, 2009.

1. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I have a quick question. I'm going to be buying a higher output alternator, possibly installing a 2nd battery. I keep reading about adding heavier gauge charge and ground wires. Are you guys just fabricating your own wires, or buying them from the dealer/parts store? If you're making them, anything fancy or special needed, or just use #2 and common sense?

Thanks.

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I just bought some bulk 2ga, some ring ends and batt. terminals. Nothing special.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Napa carries a nice high output charging kit. Nice 2 gauge welding wires, both charge and ground. Also includes a 250 amp mega fuse & holder.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

where do you get this 250 mega fuse ? I have everthing but the fuse . I've run the duel batt's for years do i need one ?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

At your local NAPA. You buy the fuse holder and the fuse separately. Mount the fuse holder in a convenient location somewhere between the alternator and the battery and run you charge wire through it. You want to run a fuse rated about 50 AMP higher than your alternators max rated output.

Keep a spare fuse in the truck for a backup in case the need ever arises.

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What's this fuse thing ??? I have never heard you talk about running a fuse from the upgraded alternator wire to battery ....Is it important to do this ???
    Is it just for upgrading to (bigger) alternator ??? Or should I do this with just the stock alternator???
    Thanks !!!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The fuse is a very good idea. All circuits should have overload protection. In this case you also protect the alternator itself from a dead short downstream. Or if the alternator went bad and shorted to ground, you would be less likely to burn the truck down.

It's nothing exotic, all vehicles have overload protection in the charge wire. It's usually in the form of a fusible link.

8. RichG53

Where is it on my Vehicle ???? I am not sure were to look ????
    In B&B's posts(Dual Batteries) he never mentioned (that I recall) putting one in.....
    Should I be concerned about getting one put in soon ???
    Thanks !!!!!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a good idea to fuse ANY power wire regardless of where it is or what it's purpose is. But there's a million out there that aren't. And many are OEM that way.

Never a bad idea.

10. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I stopped by my local NAPA and asked about this and the guy looked at me like I was an alien. I tried to ask if there was a generic kit, a vehicle specific kit, and the guy wasn't able to find anything. I eventually gave up and walked out on the guy as for some reason (according to him) I was the one being an idiot for even asking about it. I am going to have my local car stereo shop hook me up most likely as it will be cheaper than having to pay shipping if I buy everything online.

If you have an actual part number for either the HO charging kit or the mega fuse, that might help.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to do some serious digging, I bought mine two years ago. When I bought the HO alt, they asked me at that time if I wanted the HO charge kit. If you have a stereo shop in town, they should be able to hook you up (pun intended). Most NAPA stores are good, but not always.

12. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I knew I was in trouble when the first thing he asked me was why I needed it. I did my best to be patient, but by the end I'm sure the steam coming out of my ears was noticeable. The stereo guys do multiple battery setups all the time, as well as HO alt. upgrades, so they seem to know their stuff. I know that the wire they use is pretty nice stuff and it's cheaper than I can get welding or other wire online for.

Either way I'll get it figured out. Thanks for the help.

13. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Wire

When i buy welding wire compared to car audio wire, The welding wire is better quality. I think a lot of that car audio wire is miss marked. When you buy welding wire it is gauged with out the coating. When you buy car audio wire it is gauged with the coating. I can buy 1ot cheaper at my welding store than i can 2ot at farm and fleet and it is a hell of a difference. I do agree it is easier to get the fuse at the car audio store. Just a heads up.
    Thanks, Ron

14. RichG53

Thanks all !!! More things to improve on .. It never ends....

15. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I never read about a fuse also. Thought I was ready.

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure your setup is the same as mine but it might be.On my dual battery 06'Dmax,the black charging wire from the alternator to the driver's side battery goes from memory 6 gauge to like 10 gauge--that being the fusible link.B+B advised me to change that to 4 gauge which I did.I do want to add in that fuse sooner than later.:):)