1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavy drain on battery

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by thumpper, Dec 10, 2005.

1. thumpper

thumpper Junior Member

:gunsfiring: Western 6' unit when the plow goes up or angles there is a heavy drain on the battery. The volt meter shows a 5-7 volt drop. I know there should be a draw but it seems alot.
    Thanks

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

How old is the Electric lift motor, i had to change mine cause of a high drain.

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Check your battery and pump motor connections.
    Dirty or corroded connections will have an affect on the voltage.
    Just a thought,
    Mark K

4. paynter2

paynter2 Member

I had the same thing happen with a Meyers plow - I used to fry the battery when I opperated the plow. I went to a local guy who rebuilds electric motors, alternator, starters, etc., to get a 100amp alternator. He told me to replace the plow motor too.

He said that when the motors go bad, they can draw as much as 100 amps when the plow hits the stops. I replaced both (the motor and alternator) and haven't had a problem since.

FYI - I got the 100 amp alternator for $100 plus exchange. I thought that was pretty good... I don't remember what he charged me for the motor. I think it was about the same as prices on the web - but no shipping and I had it right away...

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A plow motor puts a heavy load on any battery. That's why the "plow package" generally includes a bigger alternator. Plus, when you're operating the plow is generally when you're also having the biggest load anyway - Radio, Heater, Lights (including strobes or rotators) and maybe the sander. If your battery is dropping just for few seconds, then regaining full charge fairly quickly, I wouldn't worry about it until it is slow recovering. My half ton Dodge was like that and I plowed with it for four years.

For those who may not know - Let off the plow once it's reached it's full angle or lift. Continuing to hold it once its reached the end causes plow motor failure and an even greater load on the battery, causing early failure. Likewise, if the snow load on the plow keeps it from reaching the stops and you hold it trying to "power" it to full angle, this will lead to seal damage. Better to back off and get a smaller bite. Or, if you're windrowing, back off, take it to full angle and try again.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I realize this is a while since you posted this, and you likely have it taken care of. My first guess was worn plow motor. You may notice it getting noisier and rougher when operated if the bushings are going in it. And it may draw enough current to actually melt the case of the solenoid where the cable attaches, if it is the plastic one. So you may need to change that too if the motor is bad.