1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heavier coils or air bags?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by K. Meyer, Dec 6, 2007.

1. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

I have an 06' f-350 psd with an 8-10 blizzard, The coils don't seem to hold the plow like a leaf and am wondering if anyone out there has any feedback on the airbags that run inside the coils or installing a heavier coil spring, I belive my truck came with the "c" coils. Cost aside, i don't want it to ride like a bronco but have a lot of sag even without the plow.

2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Both are going to stiffen up the ride somewhat. How much does the truck sag with the plow on? If it is only 1" then you might want to consider a 2" spacer in the front. It will retain the ride you have and raise the front so it does not LOOK like it is sagging so bad.
    The F550 coils which are the heaviest (#6000) are going to lift the front of the truck about 2.5 inches. Do you have enough adjustment in the plow frame to get you back to the correct height?

3. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

I'm going to guess sag is between 2 -3", lloks about on the bump stops with plow raised. it settles down quite a bit. There are also 5500# coils as well. I would prefer the airbags because you can air them down. The coil spring style are only rated for 1000#'s as compared th the set on my 01' leaf sprung f-350 which were rated for 3000#'s. I guess i'm looking for feedback from someone who has experimented a bit. I have an 05' chassis cab as well, maybe i will buy a set of springs and a set of air bags and do my own experiment.

4. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Put a 2" spacer leveling kit and some timbrens. You will be all set.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The code X springs are for the snow plow pkg from the factory. Won't make it ride much harsher and will hold the plow alot better.

6. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

Truck came with plow package from the factory, dealer looked up vin and gave me spring code.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My 04 doesn't have the plow pkg and the front only drops 1/2" when I lift my V-Blade. But mine is leaf and not coils.

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I just put the air bags in the front of my 2008 F450. Truck has a 8611 on it. Bags are working great. Carries the plow very well, didnt screw up the ride or static height like heavier coils, spacers or Timbrens. The air bags for your truck are the same as my truck. Very easy install and only $80. Ride stiffness is adjustable with the airsprings unlike any other method of changing load capacity. Get the bags, you wont be sorry.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I guess I don't understand the dealer in 99 would not sell me a diesel if I was putting a plow on since it would void my warranty. But when I looked at new psds in 05 they said with the coils they would warranty the plow on the truck. So that tells me the coils are better at holding the weight. I added a leveling kit to mine and with an 8' poly it dosn't move when lifting the blade.

10. Moog

See what Moog has with a progressive coil for your truck

Works fine for mine
    tc

11. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

Put A Set Of F-550 Coils In It. 7000# Capacity. Lifts The Truck 1-2 Inches Empty. I Put These On My 05 F-350 $80.00 Plus The Install. Truck Will Handle The Plow No Problem. Little Stiff Up Front But Its A 1 Ton. Ask The Dealer For The Part Number. I Still Have My 6000# Coils From When I Did The Switch If Somebody Wants Them.

12. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

truckspring.com

link at the top of the page

I just bought a set of there 7,000lb coils gives you a 1000 lbs over stock,if you already have the 6,000 pounders.Work great,plow doesnt seem to bounce the truck as much as it did.
    Got mine for $186 shipped

13. Lou Braun

Lou Braun Junior Member

Those CCC coil springs are 6000# rated and were the highest rated springs offered on the '06 F-350's. There is probably a tag still hanging from the passenger side spring with the rating label on it.

The F-450 7000# springs will work OK if you are willing to have a stiffer ride when the plow is removed. Alternately Timbrens will do the job.

Lou Braun

14. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

thanks for the feedback guys, I'm not really a fan of the timbrens mainly because they won't level the truck with the plow off. I was also told there is a 6500# spring as well as the 7000#. If true then maybe the 6500 would be enough without sacrificing the ride. The airbags and 2" spacers intrest me as well because there would be no trade off in ride quality. wish me luck!!!

15. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I didnt notice a change in ride quality with the 7000# springs with the plow on.Im gonna take the plow off tonight so I'll know if there is a difference by tomorrow.I'll post again to let you know if its a worse ride.I havent had the plow off since i put the springs on the other day.

16. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Drove the truck today without the plow,I really didnt feel any difference in the ride between the 6000lb and the 7000lb springs.

Heres a pic the 7,000 are on the left stock 6,000lb on the right

IMG_1072.JPG

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had air bags in my 94 when I ran it. They did great but I was always adjusting them. Then I got heavier springs put in and they also did great and no adjusting every week. My 06 carries my V blade just fine, maybe an inch drop. I would go for the heavier springs.