1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heating to flow better when spraying

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by secret_weapon, Sep 9, 2011.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

So during the hot summer months I left a gallon can sitting outside in the sun, can got nice and hot. Didn't have a temp gun on me to check actual temp, but anyways, I poured the hot fluid in my spray gun and boy did it spray nice. Emptied the sprayer real quick.

So, my question is can I buy the thicker Fluid Film, heat it up to an easier pour point per say, then spray and when it cools, it'll be thicker and stick to plow or truck or whatever I spray and resist wash off better?
    Has anyone tried this?
  2. bob1008

bob1008 Junior Member
    from ma

I've had at least (2) customers try this with Fluid Film "AR" (thicker). Both said it was a nightmare and not worth the effort. Plus.. it was really expensive because it goes on so heavy, and reduces the coverage. I would not go down the "AR' road if I were you. Most of the "AR" that we sell goes into heavy marine, like barge repair, and is almost always bought by the 55 gallon drum.
  3. secret_weapon

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would work. If nobody had responded I was going to try.
    Mission abort...
    I'll just stay with what I have.
  4. timberjack

timberjack Member

When i do my pre winter spray downs on the frame/undercarriage, it's usually close to freezing. The NAS doesn't flow so well in the schutz gun, at least with the narrow tip i use.

I keep a large pot of water on a coleman stove nearby, close to boiling, and put in the filled metal quart cans, (with the lids off) so they are about 3/4's into the water, and pick them out as i need them. Works great for spraying as you've learned, though i can't speak to it applying any better. I'd bet it might seep into crevices easier.
  5. secret_weapon

I did notice that it seeped in and around a lot more when it was heated. I'll remember that hot water when spaying in freezing temps.