1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heating Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by I RocDuP I, Dec 29, 2012.

1. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Ok, so here is an issue I am noticing with my 2011 Silverado. I have only noticed this with the plow attatched to the vehicle. If I am driving with the heat on, it will randomly go cold and hot. This is only with the plow on. The gauge is not going anywhere other than where it should be for engine temp. The only thing I do notice is that the ambient air temperature goes up dramatically sometimes when in transport between jobs. Any ideas. I read the thread about the guy in the denali but wasn't sure if he was using the auto feature.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,same thing as the OP with the Denali.Either relocate the sensor which is basically getting confused from air flow or just crank up your settings to get the heat you want and live with it as I do.Not really a big deal.

3. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Ok just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the truck. Im so picky with the thing. Is there a relocation kit or is the wire long enough to move it somewhere.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Wire should be long enough to move, personally i would just turn the heat up and leave it on defrost. If your doing any amount of plowing the windshield will need to keep warm to help keep the wipers from freezing. I always keep the heat cranked and my window down when plowing for fresh air, over the road the window goes back up but not for long.

5. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

hope you got my answer before it was removed because of others....I am getting tired of this site quickly...If you didn't get my post...shoot me a private message and I will send you the info where I know you will get the answer you are looking for...that is the reason why you posted a question and why I posted a response....but others can't control themselves and ruin it for people who care to help.

6. yloflash

yloflash Junior Member

Try moving the temp. sensor

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will need to move the sensor. And apparently there's no magic spot that will always work. Each truck/plow combination is a bit different.

8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Well i will feel free to jump right on this pity party band wagon. My apologies to you good sir for misleading this post with what you may consider wrongful information. If your reply was removed i do question the quality reply that was given and its actual intent. Now you, many others as well as myself may or may not have automotive experience and are giving our opinions of what we feel is the best answer for the question asked. I see no need in being rude to others of your opinion of what the correct answer is. If you are curious, i was a GM tech for 3 yrs and a Chrysler tech for a couple before deciding turning wrench was not a money making career. Hacking the harness on a truck this new? Not me, i would try moving it around but that is it. I would not give GM any reason to void my warranty and with the newer electronics you may not be able to. Not sure about the newer GM's but Chrysler is noted to use one circuit "driver" for several controls which are monitored by OHMs resistance. Each reading tells the ECU what the controls are doing. Hacking the harness, using possibly a different size and length wire and adding resistance through a splice could play hell with the ECU. Something to think about.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

Woodchuck2
    What are you talking about? I can't even follow what you said...let alone answer you.
    You are misleading the question with the answer of your career and what not to do...does this help? He wanted a fix...not what not to do...If you have a fix...then by all means post it...it would help more than one person...while you answer might help someone who was going to cut and hack the harness...I think the person asking wanted a fix so he doesn't have to cut and hack...
    Read your answer and ask yourself...Did I help this person or did I try to start something with someone else by beating a dead horse...let it go.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The fix has been posted several times.

Move the sensor......

11. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

Thank you so much 2cor517, while the answer "move it" is a great idea...I think(for myself) I would like to see a couple of posts from someone that moved it already and what their results were...thank you for understanding that your advise has been taken with all the due respect it deserves.
    If I read the OP the question was Is there a relocation kit or is the wire long enough to move it somewhere"
    I would assume and you know how that turns out....The OP was asking for a location also that might work...I think this answer would be helpful to him

2COR5217 Have you relocated yours? What results did you get from relocating it? Did you use a relocation kit? Was the wire long enough for you truck?
    answers to these would be helpful to several of us who are asking.