1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater Resistor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Novadiecast, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Well it happened to me. My heater started to act up so I opened the hush cover and mover the wires to the resistor and it started working again. But, just for a little bit. So I go to the dealer and get a new resistor(46.00). Ready to change it out in the parking lot and don't you know the plug is melted and the wires kind of burned and bare at the plug. So back inside and ask for the plug. It was around 75.00 just for the plug. Off to the shop in my freezing truck during a snow storm to chage the plug and resistor. Took me about 15 minutes to change it all out and now it works like new. Just thought I would share my resistor story with you all. If not for all the good people here I would not have known what to do but, because of this forum I Knew exactly what to get and how to do it. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the blower motor resisters aren't the killer anymore, it's the replacement connector pigtails that get you. Nice it's an easy fix though. :drinkup:

BTW, assuming the truck is out of warranty now?

3. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Put some dielectric grease on all the plug contacts. Will help prevent it in the future.

4. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

That happened to me yesterday. I think the resistor blew because even with the key out of the ignition, the blower still runs on full speed. The only way to get it to stop is to pull the 40a fuse under the hood. :dizzy:

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like your switch is junk...If it keeps running

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct, needs the blower resister replaced. When they die the internal relay sticks in the energized position and causes the motor to run regardless of switch or ignition position.

7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

Perfect. That's exactly what I was thinking. The resistor controls voltage on speeds 0-4 and on 5 there is no resistance needed so it operates on a simple relay. When the 40a fuse under the hood is pulled, the blower works on every speed except 5, which leads me to believe that it is the relay that is messed up. But those are part of the resistor now anyway. (I think?).

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the relay is an internal part of the resistor. Change it and you change them both.

9. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

That's what warranties are for. Lol I'll get the resistor fixed, the exhaust leak, the axle shaft leak, and a few more things taken care of for that deductible.

10. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

The truck has 61,000 miles so I am sure the warranty is up.:realmad: I do have an extended warranty but it was 5:00pm and in the middle of 14 inches of snow and I needed heat. So I just did it myself.

11. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

That's funny. My truck has 61,000 on it too. (But it's an '03 lol) Hmmm.