1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pongow26, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I have a 98 Z71 1500 and every so often - latley more often - the heater does not come on when I start the truck. After I start driving for about 10 minutes at 40mph+ it will kick in and continue to work till i shut the truck off. Any ideas???

2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If you know where the blower motor is, give it a quick kick, i the blower works right after you kick it chances are you need a blower motor. The motor should be near the right kick panel where the passengers feet would sit.

3. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

OK that did work. Why would that mean I need a new blower motot though? Couldn't it be a bad wire or bad connection?

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

My 97 did the same thing. Kicked the blower motor and it took off just fine. The electric blower motor has a bad spot and it sticks in that spot. It will only get worse. Pick up a new blower motor and your problem will be solved.

5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I've owned 3 different vehicles from that era, and every one of them would leak in a heavy downpour right over the blower motor. Make sure that you keep the area under the hood cleaned out well, as there is a little collection trough that runs along the back of the engine bay, just under where the wipers are. If that gets loaded up with leaves and gunk, you'll have a leak. In my 97 Yukon, the motor really started acting up and when I tore it apart it was all corroded from the leaking.

6. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

I had the same problem. I would get water in the blower housing that would freeze. The truck would warm up, the water melts and the blower works. Does it sound like the blower is scraping something when it finally kicks on? FYI its a PITA to change. I ended up cutting the rubber insulation cover to get access.

7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I did the same thing with blower, cut the rubber housing off. The blower would make a very load scaping noise when on so had to replace it. The motor was cheap just a pain to replace.

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I got help from B& B on this same thing last week.

It may be a bad (worn) bearing in you blower motor........and if you lose low speed fan but have high speed fan it can be a resistor for the fan......

I changed out both and its just like new.........

I do also think I have a rain water leak...............

9. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Where is that resistor located??? I only have mid/high and high and it drives me crazy...

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Follow the wire from the blower motor.

11. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Likely a dead part on the motor, kick it sometimes moves it enough so it "revives' it. Its only temporary. Its just a good, easy check. We do this with fuel pumps too, if the motor starts, obviously it has power and ground, so it rules out a lot of things in a very short period of time.. Replace the blower motor and you'll be good.

12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Mine had a loose fuse. bepending on the temp and how many bumps were in the road would determine if my blower motow worked or not. spent a lot of money to find that out

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What year truck?

'98- prior (old body style) it's in the top of the HVAC box just to the left of the glove box.

'99-up Silverado body its located on the bottom of the HVAC box right above where the passenger's feet would be. Have to pull the hush panel down for access.

14. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

its a 94...Ill check it out . Thanks

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any tips on changing this motor? I need to do it on my 95 Tahoe. Doesn't look fun. If I cut the rubber piece, can I get right to it?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can cut the cover out if thats your speed but the cover isn't really much to remove properly.

To access the blower motor you'll need to remove the pass kick panel, glove box, and the lower passenger mounting bolt from the dash assembly in order to pull the bottom of the dash out far enough to extract the motor/squirrel cage assembly from the HVAC box. Not a bad job but not as easy as others.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

B&B, you rule. Thanks for the help.