1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heater problem....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i normally know that my heat will cut out when on the highway with the plow on cause of the airflow and the outside temp sensor heats up from the radiator pushing air forward, usually seen by the outside temp gauge going up into summer temps when we know it's damn cold out. anyway today the outside temp was only at 45-50 degrees but i had no heat at all. then stopped at the bank and got back in the truck and all was well. WTF do you think could have happened?

also is there a way to build a scoop to funnel air into the front gril? i was thinking of taking something and going across the plow headlights maybe 20 inches by 4 inches then angling down from the back point and going to the top of the grill opening to divert air into the grill as if the plow were off. has anyone tried this?

2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

You might have a bad thermostat. It could be stuck open. Is the temp gauge still reading the same as usual? You might also have an air bubble in the line and it just happened to burp when you restarted it.

3. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

I have to back flush my heater core frome time to time

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

temp is normal and with plow off no issues whatsoever.

how do you do that and what exactly is the purpose of it?

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Pull the coolant lines off the heater core and backflush with water and/or compressed air. They clog up and need to be flsuhed out from time to time. Flush and backflush to clear any blockage.

6. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

i tend to notice im cold,so i check the heater hoses and in my case one will be hot and the other...not so much so I flush it,takes about 10 min

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

do you think the snow deflector that western sells will help with the airflow? i know it is intended to curl snow better but if it is on there wont it block the updraft off the blade and allow the air to flow over it and into the grill better?

8. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

And then plan on replacing your heater core if it was weak ... and starts to LEAK ...

Maybe flush with coolant system cleaner and no compressed air is a bit safer, but less effective ...

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I used a system cleaner, water and compressed air. No leaks yet........but yes a cleaner would be safer for an already weak core that needs replacing.

10. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

I just do mine with a garden hose

11. bill7101

bill7101 Member

I have replaced a few cores from peopleusing compressed air to get the buildup out, they arent made for more then 16 to 22 psi, if you run much more then that damage can occur.

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I just use a garden hose to unp[lug mine...no nozzle or anything, just medium to high flow rate on a standard domestic tap, worked great the couple times I had to do it.

I'm not so sure about this lack of heat issue though...if the plow is blocking fresh ar from the grill, wouldn't it get hotter, not colder and the heater core would get hotter too? What year truck is this on? Maybe there are sensors on the newer trucks that prevent the heater core from operating or something?

13. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

you say that happened one time? does the vehicle have auto climate control? gm has an issue with the actuators going out of calibration and cycling the key sometimes resets them because it goes through a self calibration... if you take it and get it scan tested there should be a code set if it was a actuator concern

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Obviously its an issue when the plow is on the truck.Really need to know what year and size truck you have.I've never tried what was said above,if it works it works.I had a friend with an 04 2500hd that when the plow was on the truck and the heat was off the trucks temp would get up into the 220-230 range.If the heat was on the truck would be fine.He ended up upgrading this thermosat and putting a better fan clutch on the truck to get more air into the grill and hasn't had any problems since.I think you just had some air in the system.When was the last time you had a cooling system flush?

15. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

it's an 07 new body 1500.