1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater plug question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Quality SR, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

The power cord in my '04 GMC 2500 is about 6"-8" short of the grill. I cut off they ty-wraps and tried to reroute. But no good. What can i do? I was thinking of cutting the plug off and making it longer, but i dont know. i was thinking of buying a foot long jumper ( female on one side and male on the other about 12" long) and make it longer that way. What do you think?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We make jumper cords up for most of our truck and tractors. Put some FF or dielectric grease on the plug ends and then tape them together, so they won't come apart.

3. Quality SR

Thats what i will do. I would rather do what you side then to cut it off and splice it. Thanks for the info JD.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

When I did mine I had to undo all the tiesup to the motor. WAY DOWN TO WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE OR BARELY REACH! it is plenty long. It is sticking out about a good 6 inches from the grille. Make sure you route it free of anything that may be in the way. It will reach.

5. Quality SR

Thanks for the info. I see where the wire turns down but it is in a sleeve with other wires, and it goes straight down. I am going to see if i can get anymore slack or i am just going to extend it.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove it from the protective sleeving Rich..you can trim it back a bit but it should be long enough without having to add to it..

7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

On my 04, the previous owner made a short extension cord that comes out down by the passenger side tow hook. I can get some pics in the morning if you'd like.

8. Quality SR

Thanks Mike. I am going to look at that in the morning, If the rain lets up. Ill keep you posted.

9. Quality SR

I am going to see if i can get more on the wire in the morning. If not ill add to it and stick it out through the tow hooks or the grill. Thanks Will

10. daplowman

daplowman Member

Sound like you have it routed from the bottom up. Try going through the headlamp hole plenty of room and less wire used. Of course without seeing it, that is only a guess.

11. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Try "Arctic Leash"

It is a retractable weather proof, made for autos extension cord.

http://www.arcticleash.com/

Good luck xysport