1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heater in cab not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Diesel Freak, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak Junior Member

i have 2004 chevy silverado 3500 with the 6.0 and the heater is not working checked fuses. all good. replaced heater resistor and the heater controls and still nothing. bench tested the blower motor and that just about jumps off the bench when i put power to it. is there a relay that i dont know about that is hidden somewhere?

2. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Oops sorry my speed reading and pay attention mode has been deleted

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Start by checking for power at the plug that plugs into the blower motor with a test light to verify that there is no power to the motor.

4. Diesel Freak

Does anyone know what prong in the the plug for the controls is power and what one is ground? Thx

5. Diesel Freak

ok tested the power at the blower motor plug and got nothing. tested to see if power is at the controld and i got power to the heat/cold plug but i got nothing at the plug for the speed controls. i was told that the power goes to the resister first then to the heatrer controls? is this true or does it go to the controls then to the resister?

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Your factory harness is melted at the blower resistor. Cant tell you how many ive have done you wont belive me. Also possible the resistor is bad but should still work on Hi. Will need to change pig tail and resistor.

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I had a 98 with that problem. It ended up being one of the harnesses plugged into the controls on the dash.

8. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

x2 on the melted harness. Had mine replaced twice under GM recall. Try whacking it lightly with something, should kick right on if you hit it just right....unless the wires are really melted.

9. Diesel Freak

Replaced plug to resistor found that kit was melted a little but still got nothing? This thing is really stumping me? Does anyone know where the ground is for this circuit? Thx

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

It usually melts the resistor as well.

11. Diesel Freak

Well after work today pulled truck into shop tested and had power at the resistor plug then tested at buttons and had no power. So then I double checked the fuses and power there all good. Went to pull the fuse block out and the blower motor started working. And worked the whole way home. So I guess I would call it fixed. Hope it stays that way cuz the cold weather is here and I think staying for awhile. The for all the info.

12. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

You have to like those kind of fixes...lol

13. Paul D

Paul D Member

OK, so mine doesn't work on five and sometimes doesn't work on 4, but wiggling the switch on dash seems to get 4 working. If it was the resistor it sounds like other speeds wouldn't work but 5 always would work, kinda the opposite of what mine is doing. Hate to throw a resistor at it and hope. :confused:

14. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

It sounds like it could be a loose connection. You may want to turn the heat on and check the connection to the resistor to see if it's attached securely to it.

We carry new blower motor resistors on our website with free shipping if yours happens to be bad. Hope this helps you out.

Tony

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I had one that works on 1 thru 4, but never on 5. If you pull it apart its probibally corroded or melted. Its an easy check.