1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heater does not heat

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by thomasid, Nov 9, 2004.

1. thomasid

thomasid Junior Member

Okay, here is one for you. The heater in my 99 Doge Dakota does not blow out warm air. The engine temp reads 195-200 and the heater fan is working. The outside air temp is around +10 and I have blocked the airflow to the radiator by 80%. I've also changed the thermostat and flushed the system. What might be wrong?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Somewhere in the heater hose going to your core you should have a valve , that is operated by your dash controls. It may be a vacuum controlled valve, I don't know the dakota's. It may not be opening to let the fluid circulate through the heater core. In some cases the core could be plugged, but this usually comes from lack of maintenance of the antifreeeze. You may be able to free up the valve once you find it. Someone else may have information specific to your model, but look for something along those hoses going through your firewall.

3. topher4519

topher4519 Junior Member

I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. All you need is 2 5/8 hose adapters female. Disconnect the one hose that goes to the Water pump, and the other that is connected to the engine next to the thermostat. Hookup the water hose to the hose that came from the water pump spray water for about 2 minute. Then reverse and spray the water the other way.
    You will end up with dirt and grim come out the other end. Hookup hoses and top off antifreeze. Start your truck and let it warm up.

4. thomasid

thomasid Junior Member

heater does not work

Thanks for the reply's . I'll check them both out and let you know the results.
    Thanks again