1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater cuts down when using blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by micojj, Jan 4, 2006.

1. micojj

micojj Junior Member

I just mounted a 2 year old boss 7.5' on my Dodge Ram 1500 (plow is new to me). Everything works great. I have an older chev with an ancient western (cable driven joystick) and this Boss is superb compared to that. Only thing I've noticed is when I raise or turn the blade my heater momentarily cuts down. This is not a big deal, just wanted to know if this is normal. If I'm plowing at night, the headlights dim momentarily as well when I raise or turn. I have had no problems with lack of battery juice at any other time. My old western does the same on another truck and it has a brand new Interstate battery.
    Any comments?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes takes a lots of juice for the plow might turn down the fan a notch so you don't notice it as for lights i plow with them off a lot of times if the parking lot has lights in them I'll use just my markers.
  3. your best luck is to install another batt. that way there is not as much of a drain on one batt. my truck did the same thing then i but another one in and had not had one prob
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

2nd battery is a good idea. Also have your alternator checked or consider putting in a 100 amp. Saves a lot on replacing batteries.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a 2nd batt. Get two 1000cca batts. You can get a batt tray from your Dodge dealer for the left fender well.
    If you want to, you can up grade your alt to a "136 amp alt" but those cost around $200 for a new one.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  6. Swinn

Swinn Member

I think that the peak amp draw on a plow electric hydraulic motor is something like 180amps give or take. With all motors peak current occurs when the motor is initially started or suddenly has a large load applied to it. Plow motors typically run 3secs and can have large amounts of loads suddenly applied.
  7. ronscofield

ronscofield Junior Member

If you do this , do you hook the battery's pos to pos and neg to neg?
  8. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Running new BOSS on stock 90 amp alternator and 1 900 cca battery. No problems.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yes ! pos to pos and neg to neg, and run an additional ground wire from the new batt (- neg) to a good ground on the motor too. Use some heavy Gage wire. I used some cable from a good set of jumper cables. You can get batts with both top and side terminals this will make attaching all of your connections easer and it will look cleaner too.

You might want to clean all of your power connections too, from the alt to the batt and from the batt to your plow solenoid too.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  10. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

dodge has got a recall on heater wires some where under dash mine did the same thing.. check in with dealer they fix it for free they said it could catch on fire:eek:
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

For what year and model of trucks?

I have run all 3 of my Dodge trucks 01 and a 98 2500 through the
    re-call cheek and nothing popped up. There was one for the head light switch a while back thought.

He said his heater only slowed when he runs the plow so I bet there related.