1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater core for 1990 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by moosey, Nov 26, 2005.

1. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Heater core on 1990 f250 I think it's bad. The cab has that sweet aroma of antifreeze. Is it hard to do, any simple to do's. I have heat but got the sweet smell. What can I accept for price on one of these things. Thanks

2. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

It's pretty straight forward....

Remove the heater hose on firewall side. (dont reuse pinch clips on hoses)
    Remove the glove box (be careful not to break the clips)
    There should be 7 screws to remove on the cover (keep track of the length of the screws and location)
    Disconnect vac (leave the vac harness attached to the cover)
    Remove heater core.

I like to pull my carpet back which is an extra step, use a towel to soak up any spillage. Pretty easy other then i hate working under a dash lol

Look to spend about $20 for the heater core plus some small hose clamps and new antifreeze (I always goto autozone cuz they are cheaper never had a problem with the ones i've bought from there)

Hope that helps some
    All_Clear

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Although it is straight forward, set some time aside for this project. My hosed were melted onto the core, so it took some time to cut them off. It's been a while, but be parient because I think you have to turn the core a specific way to get it out of the dash.

4. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Thanks Guys, I heard some are just a friggin mess to deal with and myself have never done one. I guess that will be my project for Sunday.

Thanks again!

5. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

bcf is right, if it's never been changed those hoses may need cut off, if thats the case take a piece of hose with you to the auto parts store and get a few ft. and just splice them together with a splicing kit. May cost a bit more but it's worth it. Most every truck i have owned has already had this done.

Should be easy enough to do in about an hour.

Post back if ya run into a question.

All_Clear

6. timberjack

timberjack Member

That model year of Ford are relatively easy. I had to do one in my 2000 Silverado. What a headache. Just about everything in the cab from the dash to the firewall has to be removed. I did it over a couple of days, but i figure total time was at least 8 hours of my own labor. I hate to think what the dealer would have charged me.

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

on the 80-97 ford f-series if you have a/c it is easy ,if you dont have a/c it is alot more coplicated.

8. MBBCop

MBBCop Junior Member

I just did this job three weeks ago on my 88 F250. There are two types of heater cores, one with A/C and one w/out A/C. I do not have A/C however the core that I took out was matched up to the core marked for A/C. You may want to take it out and compare it at the parts store. Note the core with the longer fitting is a with A/C core.

It is not a hard job, however it is satisfying when done!

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 89 with A/C was the easiest I ever did!
    I would replace all the heater hose while you have it tore down. All the heat and vibration of plowing ages them and the truck is a 1990.(C.Y.A.)
    Measure them so you get enough hose.
    Every time I have had a hose blow it was a heater hose.