1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater Blower Won't Work On Level 5

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mercer_me, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The other day I went to turn the heat on in my 2002 Chevy 1500 and the blower wouldn't work on level 5. It works on levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 but, not 5. A couple years ago I replaced the resister because the blower would not shut off even with the truck off and the key out of the ignition. I'm thinking the problem I have now is a bad switch? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Probably that dang resistor again. I guess it was/is a common problem on Silverado and Sierra in a certain year range. I replaced the one on my '04 last year. Turned out to be easier than I thought, but I'm glad I found a YouTube video that mentioned the 7mm screws to get at it, and the 5/32" (if I remember correctly) for the rest of the project.

You're probably more mechanically inclined than I am. (Nobody would ever mistake me for a mechanic.) :mechanic:

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Resistor again. I had one that worked exactly like you describe.

4. mercer_me

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to buy a resistor I guess.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I had my truck not blow a/c out on 4 or 5 until I replaced the resistor

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it is recommended to change both the resister and plug....not changing the plug will cause premature failure of the new resister due to internal shorting of the plug

7. mercer_me

Thanks for the information, I will change both.