1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heater blower only works on high

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JBJ Const., Jan 25, 2013.

1. JBJ Const.

JBJ Const. Junior Member

I have an 03 2500 HD and just the other day the heater quit working on speeds 1-4 is there a relay for this I looked through the manual and I can't find one labeled for heater fan.

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

There's a resistor that is mounted in the airbox that causes this problem. Follow the wires back from the blower and you'll see it. It's a little plate that has a plug on it and mounts with one or two screws. Pull the screws and it will come out, you'll see the coil is burnt. Change it out and you'll be back in business.

3. deck2

deck2 Junior Member

Mine did the same thing a few years ago I have a 05 2500, the dealer told me there was a recall on that exact thing and now the heating system is covered for longer under. Might want to check it out with a GM Dealership.

4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

He may be out of warranty on that. My 02 was when I called. Its a $60 - $40 part.

5. Rainer

Rainer Member

Thought it was a recall. I had my '02 done years and years ago, the wife's '05 Suburban within the last 12 months. Both were out of warranty but didn't pay a thing for either repair. Of course, my mechanic actually likes me.

6. JBJ Const.

JBJ Const. Junior Member

Thanks for the info I'll check it out

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

ck the connector to the blower resistor I change them just as much as the resistor on these.

8. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Here' what they end up looking like

1d61933a-93b3-102b-93bd-96108a84f749r.jpg

9. Grassman09

I have a friend at a dealership he said my truck does not qualify. Almost 300'000kms on it. Apparently they also sometimes do not last to long before they fail again.

10. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I replaced one in my Wifes 04 Yukon a few years ago. So far I haven't had another issue with it.

11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I have an 04 silverado with the same problem, do you have to take the dash apart to work on this?

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I had to replace my 2002 1500's resistor last Winter. It takes about five minutes to replace it.

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Can someone explain how to do this ? Thanks!!

14. Grassman09

There are a few vids on YouTube. Link doesn't work when I paste it here from my ipad

15. mercer_me

The resistor is located underneath the glove box and is secured by two bolts. Removing the bolts will allow you to remove the resistor and replace it with a new one.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2. Open the passenger's side door and remove the two bolts underneath the glove compartment.

3. Remove the black cover from the resistor pack.

4. Remove the blower motor resistor and replace it with a new resistor.

5. Reattach the cover and the two bolts. Reconnect the negative terminal to the battery.

This video shows it very well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWM285eizw

16. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

:mechanic: Nice write up !!

17. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Thanks mercer didn't realize if was that simple!!!

18. mercer_me

Ya, it's wicked easy anybody can do it.

19. cameren_j

cameren_j Junior Member

I have a 1999 suburban with about this same problem I only have the one speed and its wide open all the time it wont shut off just wide open could this be the resistor as well on mine causing the problem?

20. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Mine is an 04 1500. All the speeds work but all of the right side only blows hot could this be the resistor?