1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heated wipers??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landscapes8988, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

2. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

neat idea, but wow, pricey! $45-55 just for refills.
    How about heated washer fluid? Get washer hose, wrap around a heater hose a few times. $10 if that. Just an idea I was thinking about this winter. I know of some import cars that have heated washer jets.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i use them. work great keeps the wipers from freezing up unless its a blizzard with lots of blowing snow.. also keeps the cowl vents in front of the hood from having massive buildups of snow if you let them sit on there for a while over all work great and im very pleased with my set

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny, I thought during a blizzard is when they work best.

They flat out suck when the roads are wet or light rain.

5. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

tried them and they are worthless also tried the heat strip you put on the windshield under wipers that also was worthless tried running heat tape off an inverter - junk anybody comes up with something that helps keep icebuild up done let me know

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Never use them
    Love my heated mirrors tho.

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

My 2008 HD2500 LTZ has heated washer fluid... it's killer!! You go through alot more washer fluid, but I could care less... I never got out of my truck once last winter to bang the ice off my wipers. :nod:

8. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

What about these?
    Never seen them in use, but who knows? Anyone use em?
    www.wipershaker.com

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

well im using the Heat Flexx ones which are a little different than the ones on the link, what would happen with mine in the extreme blowing snow was the top end of the wiper blade would freeze over and it would stay there untill you got out to bang them off. I agree they are horrible in the rain which is why i removed mine for the summer
    Also keep in mind im plowing roads so blowing snow coming over the plow is always a factor

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That shaker deal looks pretty cool. I'll have to call the Ford (oh the horror) garage tomorrow and get pricing.

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey did you ever get a price on these?

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No, I didn't. Completely forgot.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

no problem. was just curious.

15. Matts Kitty

Matts Kitty Junior Member
    from Vermont

I like the idea of the heat flex wipers for my fords. If nothing else you won't have to dig in the snow for them when the wiper assembly pops off as the wire would tie it to the truck. hehe

16. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

This might sound strange but, what I've found to work the best when under normal conditions is to not use the defroster at all. I keep the windshield as cold as possible- any snow that hits just blows right off. I blow the heat to the floor and sometimes even put a towel over the dash to make sure no heat gets to the glass- WORKS GREAT! I used to fight with the ice but not anymore. I'm not saying this works in every situation but it's made a huge difference for me.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's an interesting idea, certainly worth trying. I'm guessing it works best when it's very cold, and dry powder snow?

18. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

That is when it works best. Depending on what you consider very cold- as long as it's not warm enough for the snow to be totally wet, it works. It still stays warm in the truck so it's not like you're freezing either.

19. JKMATHIEU

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

Mine too! Best feature ever!

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I could see it working with the dry snow. Unfortunately, we get primarily wet, heavy snow here, so rarely would that work. Thanks for the suggestion though!