1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heated wipers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve fdr, Feb 11, 2008.

1. steve fdr

steve fdr Junior Member

KINNCO Senior Member

...I still use the ol " One handed wiper flip... flip....flip then I can see better:blush2:"
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

except i need alonger arm because my passanger blade must be too long it dosent clean well pice of junk
  4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I just use winter bladesussmileyflag
  5. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Winter blades work good....however I doubt that heated blades will prevent the build up on the side and bottom of windshield...sure it will prevent the build up on the blade itself, but still have to get out and clean windshield.:dizzy:
  6. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

i've got a pair, they work great, i'd never plow again without them
  7. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Do you still get the build up on the bottom and side of the windshield??
  8. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  9. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

i've had to clear the side of the windshield and under the blades a couple times this season when it's freezing rain, but if it's just snow it's ok.
  10. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Ive got them...I Love them and I RARELY have to scape anything
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've got the winshield frost fight kit which helps a ton. The new blade design on the silverado is almost good. The blade itself does not seem to collect ice as bad. HOWEVER< the way they designed how the blade and arm attach allow for ice build up which is harder to free up than the old style. To finish this season off I've got good ol duct tape covering where the arm and blade come together and it's been great.
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have a set of everblades, they work good for melting the snow at the bottom of the windshield, but they streak. And the replacement blades are very expensive. I run them on one truck, didn't think that they were worth it to buy more for the other trucks.

I like the strip heater idea, I might try that next with regular Winter blades...
  13. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Is the frost fight kit heating elements built into the windshield, like rear window defrosters?
    I've seen a few vehicles come factory with them. The new Chevy's have heated windshield fluid too, don't they?
  14. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Only the near-top trim/option packages on Chevy include the heated washer fluid system.

JC Whitney now sells a stick-on heated windshield strip set called Slushbuster (part MZ501762) for $16. Do not know if they are as good as the Northwind heavy-duty ones, but about 1/3 the price.
  15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I'll let you know. I just ordered two sets.
  16. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Ok, that was a joke. All the Slushbusters are is a plastic strip with rib down it that sticks to the outside of the windshield and the wiper hits it. Supposed to save reaching out and giving the wiper a snap. Sure glad I ordered two sets.
  17. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Right you are.......I saw them quickly in the catalog and "assumed" they were the heated type.

I do have a set of the Northwind heated strips that I have not installed yet since my blades now park a bit higher on the glass after I replaced the wiper motor last fall and they now sit where the defroster actually gets the glass hotter, so no ice problem so far this season. Could be a "no-cost" sollution for other plow trucks?
  18. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

anyone have a picture of these blades on your truck?
  19. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Can anybody give me a lead as to where I can get the Northwind heated strips. Their website is no good for buying anything...it wouldn't even accept an email. So who sells them I wonder?
  20. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I just got a set. I had to call Northwind and get a dealer. It was a school bus parts distributor, I forgot which one. I'm on the road now, when I get home tomorrow I will post a name and number. They don't have them online, I had to do a phone order. And the price is $60. I like them but I liked the $42 set I got from Northwind a couple of years ago better.