1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HEATED wipers??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TerraScraper, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

I had a cheap set from direct with small gauge wire , no good . I gotta try a more premium set next time
  4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I had a set on my old truck, worked great for ice/snow; horrible the rest of the year. Streaked, chattered, etc...
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I had the Everblades in the past, the only time I liked them was in heavy snow, other than that, they sucked.
  6. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

sounds gimmicki. heated washer fluid/heated mirrors is the way to go.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have (1) truck with these on it. Been running it for 3yrs & seems to work well.
    What didn't you like about them Mark?
  8. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

Heated fluid wouldn't help my issues of ice building up on the blades and My defroster does the job of melting the snow on the windshield.

I figured I'd try the set from Walmart. For $80 more than a non heated pair it's worth try to keep those ice chunks from messing with the springiness of the wipers. They are advertised as 2nd generation, hopefully that means they fixed any previous issues.
  9. Mark Oomkes

It was about 10 years ago. The rubber was too hard and only worked during heavy snow. Otherwise they streaked. I would even try turning them on while it was raining to soften them up. Wet roads were the worst, I was better leaving them off.

Maybe they have developed a better compound by now.
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Maybe. I wont say the wipers are perfect, but overall, have worked well. But again, I'm not so impressed that I will put them on all my vehicles.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Will look in the morning and get you a picture of how it looks installed in the car
  13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I don't like the idea of warm or maybe even hot fluid striking my cold windshield......sounds like a great way to crack it. I cracked one once just by turning the fully heated defrost on with a cold windshield. Maybe it would be fine, but I wouldn't do it on that chance. I know a guy who used the top line heated blade last year and says it is a mandatory thing for any plow truck now.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Wasn't that possibility proven false?

I had a heater in my truck for 6-7 years and never had a problem with a cracking windshield.
  15. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

I have plowed town roads for 15 years. Last year I installed a set of everblabes. Hands down the best thing I even did as far as convenience while plowing. I went from sometimes having to clean ice off the wipers with each pass down a road to not touching the once in the harshest conditions. After the winter I took them off and will put them back on this coming winter.
  16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Never tried them myself but I've heard they suck...
  17. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

I heated my washer fluid in one of my trucks by wrapping the line around the upper radiator hose. It worked decent. I've had it this way for about 10 years. It takes a minute to get the washer fluid to come out, I think it evaporates from being heated. I never cracked my windshield because of the this. I think it cleans better in the summer.
  18. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I too was wondering about cracking my windshield with the heated fluid. I would like to see a picture of the Mercedes set up if you could post it that would be great.
  19. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

You need to be careful about heating the fluid. The Acadias used to come with that option and were recalled due to fire hazard.
  20. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I buy the cheap sets off EBay and throw the in the trash at the end of the season.