1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated wipers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LHL Inc., Dec 30, 2010.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Curious if anyone has tried heated wipers for pickups, loaders, etc. If so do they work and what kind would you get, been looking at the everblade with the heated frames as well as the wipers. thx!!

2. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

i've got heated wiper blades from everblade, i'd never plow without them now

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have them also, they work well when it's snowing and you have them turned on. The rest of the time the rubber is to hard and they leave big patches of uncleaned area on my windshield.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Everblades. Don't know about JD Dave up there, but mine are wonderful even when not frozen. If I do get a little ice, just flip the switch for a couple seconds and magic happens.

5. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Nice! thx for the advice, sick of getting out and slamming the wipers on the windshield:mad: better order a pair. Do they make them for loaders?? i was on the everblade website and never saw the application.. Or can you just get the right length wiper and put it on??

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I believe they do. You can always get your length and make a call about it.

8. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I have run heated wipers for almost 10 years.
    Now, I have them on loader, skid steer, and all my trucks.
    If you have a 24 volt machine, you have to state that, but they will work there too

9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

They make heated wiper blades?

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was talking to them years ago about a set but never went there- I run the Bosch all in one blades now- single bean not flex frame and they work great- when they start to freeze a quick blade drop through the driver window fixes it. I am thinking about putting a heat wire on the windshield at the park position tho- like defroster grid type to keep the build up down.

heard lots of good things about the heated wipers, just have not found it necessary any more.

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Having run both heated wipers and the heat strip, my opinion is that the heated wipers do a much better job. I'm sure having them both together would be even better though!

12. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Those look pretty sweet. Does anyone know what kind of amps the Everblades pull? I'm wondering if I could use one of my upfitter switches in my F350. Unfortunately I only have one 5 amp switch left that's not in use, so if they pull more than 5 amps, I'd have to find a place to mount the switch.

I see MSS Mow uses Heat flexx blades. They're significantly cheaper at about 1/2 the price of Everblades. I watched the video on their site and I'm a little concerned as it seams the blades are "floppy" and don't have any rigidity like a frame style wiper would. I also am a little skeptical of the thermostat, as it's one more thing to fail. With the Everblades I could turn them on and off as I'd like, and they wouldn't be heating when they're not needed.

14. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

OC&D, if the current draw is over 5 amps, use a relay to up the available current output. The outfitter switch will act as the trigger for the new relay.

15. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

That's the biggest complaint I've heard with them. Apparently within the last year they have switched to a silicone blade compound that is supposed to be better. I hope so. I just ordered a pair for my dump truck so we shall see next snow once I get them on. Last storm we had a lot of blowing snow and I had to get out countless times to bang the wipers clean. Can't reach them out the window too easy like I could with the pickup, so I'm hoping they work well. Got the heated frames as well, seems they wouldn't be worth it without them.

16. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Ha! *facepalm*

Good idea. Problem solved. I think I'm going to order a set.

17. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I need to get a set ordered as well. -30C last week and my wipers were icicles in seconds.

18. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

call everblades and ask them, but I thought they told me they draw 5 amps.
    Best to call them to make sure

19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

They come with a 30 amp switch, that's all I know.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Yeah, the new silicone they have is amazing. I just bought them in October so I can't relate to what JD Dave is talking about. Works really amazing in either snow or rain, much better than my crappy Napa Winter wipers. If they do freeze, flick the switch for 5 min or so and watch it melt.