1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated wiper blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firefighter, Oct 23, 2002.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

OK I have searched and still can't answer my questions ? So know lets see what adv everyone can give me. Thinking about purchasing a pair of heated wiper blades. The question is are they really worth the money. Anyone used them yet ? also wanting to know if they help keep the snow and ice from the glass ?
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Blizzard blades, worked great on a semi I owned and my ole (retired '84 plowtruck).

Or use a search engine, quite a few matches
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Once you try a set of heated wiper blades on any vehicle you won't want to drive without them. They won't melt the ice off the window in the morning ( that's what the defrosters are for) but they will keep snow and ice build up off of the wipers and the wiper path on the windshield. The snow, ice and slush melt off and run down the windshield like rain in the summer. Excellent product.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2002
  4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

How hard are they to install ?
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

And where does the power source come from?
  6. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I got a chance to see them in St. Louis and thought what a great idea. I have to get a few pair. Blizzard has two models. One plugs right into the cigarette lighter and the other can be wired into the vehicles electrical system. Very simple wiring.
  7. casey

casey Banned

There are windshield sprays & washer additives that should have exactly the same effect.
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Do you even own a car or do you just ride the snowblower from job to job???? (I am kidding!!)

The heated wipers main purpose is to keep ice building up on the wiper itself.... Drive for 3-4 hours in the snow and you will see. The rubber covered wiper arms don't work either. The chemicals are for the windshield itself not the wipers. I have had my wipers turn into something resembling a base ball bat when driving on the highway in a storm. The put mag chloride/salt down and the snow turns to slush, hits my windshield mixes with snow and freezes again.

Why does subaru add heated wipers to its cold weather package? Because it works.

(seriously ribbing you about the snowblower thing:) )
  9. casey

casey Banned

I use a Prestone additive in the fluid res. & some type of spray on the windshield & the ice rarely builds on the blades themselves & the glass stays clean. Even if it does it is never severe & running a finger along the blade clears it.

I suppose the heated blades would eliminate the need for the spray & fluid & help on the rare occasion when ice does build up.

BTW, I can't ride my snowblowers, their all SP or push WB's.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2002
  10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Around here we go through so much washer fluid that it is not cost effective to use preston/rain-x type products. I routinely go through 12-18 gallons a winter with two trucks. I but it at wally world for .98 a gallon.

(Oh and I swear if you balance yourself just right you could ride my JD 1032 snowblower)
  11. casey

casey Banned

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It only takes about 1/2 hour here, and then stop every 1/2 hour and slap the blades. If you're lucky, one doesn't break during the storm.

If these things work, they'd be a great addition to a plow vehicle, and make it much safer besides. In the interest of economy and longevity, you could remove them for storage during the off season.

I think you'd need to carry a case of fluid in the truck to get through a storm or two, if you're plowing with the storm.
  13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Your lucky if you can get by 1/2 hr w/o reaching your arm out the window to slap the blades...
    Close to a dozen gallons sounds about right for a season.
    Luckaly my holds a little over a gallong of the stuff....

Additives would be nice when starting up, to melt the ice.
    When driving nothing works when it's flying into the window in inches.... Heated blades wont solve that.

The site confused me. Is the heated part the metal or silicone/rubber part? If thay are made so I could just swap refills in then it may verry well be worth it. If I had to rewire the entire thing every time I changed them it would get old & costly pretty quick.

I go thru a couple blades a year. Either thay break from ice & fly off into never never land or the ice damages them.
    Wipers are another thing to add to the "what parts to you carry in the truck". Wouldnt want the arm scratching the heck outta your windshield while your hanging over looking out the passangers side tring to find your way to the 24hr service station.
  14. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Well guys I ordered a pair of heated blades today from blizzard. She said they will be here in two to three days.

Let you know how they work:D
  15. casey

casey Banned

16. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Whoa, I just re-read my post.... Sorry for the horrible typos....
    I'm bad but not normally that bad...
    Kinda outta it last night (& tonighht).... Have to attend A good friend of mines funeral tomarrow....:( :(
  17. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Heated blades

I tried to fnd the amperage draw??.hmmm front plow,backplow, truck lights ,extra lights ,defroster fan ,heated blades etc. I would be maxed and then some
  18. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

For those of you with specific questions, I suggest emailing Jerre Heyer. He's an expert on these blades....

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Heat em' UP

Ok guys here's the short version on the Heated wipers.

LOW amp draw on the pair of wipers. If they drain your truck down you need a bigger alternater anyway.

Easy install. The blades swap out just like standard blades.
    You simply unplug the connectors at the wiper and pull them off.

( I'm a lazy tester so I have left mine on for over a year just to see how long the reall would hold up ) second season of plowing coming up and the still perform as well as when they went on.

Refills are available for the wiper itself, or you can get wiper and blade once you install the kit. (yes you can use your own wire )

I don't suggest this because they have a nice package with the switch, low temp wire with UV protectors and terminals and ties included for a complete install.

The wiper itself has the heating coil inserted into it.

You run the wires down the wiper arm. Tie wrap them to the arm and run them through the cowling and into the cab for a hard wire install.

Power is from a KEY ON POWER FUSE tap at the fuse block ( you can use the same on the plow uses )

Firefighter, Post it back when you get them on your rig. p.s. if your married you better get a second set soon!!!!!!

20. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Heated blades

Received the heated blades on Thursday. They didn't send the correct connection between the blade and arm. Called them and they're sending correct ones. Should be Monday.