1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heated wiper blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 14, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

any one have heated wiper blades? how do they work? how much?
    think its a pretty good don't u

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. There were a few posts about this a year or two ago. I think the wiper blades can actually heat up too much, and they get so soft that they don't work well at all. I think it might have been decided to have a timed switch like many rear defrosts that would turn the heat on and then automatically turn them off after a few minutes. Trick would be to figure out the time. If you leave them on just a little too long, it would be too late. the best option would be having a windshield that had a built in defrost in it like rear windows, but did not obstruct the view.

3. BOSTONGARDA

BOSTONGARDA Junior Member
    from Ma

My Land Rover DII has a heated windshield and it is the best. You dont even need to put your defrost fan on. It is part of the cold climate package offered by LR. This would be great if Ford and Chevy could design one.

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the heated winschield is an option on the subaru forrester, outback, and legacy. it is also an option on the new honda ridgline. my question is why is it not an option on a truck with the plow prep package? which says that we are out in snowy weather for extended periods of time.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if replacing the heated windshields are any more involved. The worst is when it is blowing and the ice build up happens so quick that the wipers don't do a damn thing and you have to hang your head out the window and catch the wiper as it comes by and try to slap it. Then that only does so much, so you have to get out and go at it with the scraper...

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Tractor Trailer's have heatd wipers available- I was just looking for some the other day when I noticed an add from a fleet magazine about 4 years old. The brand I saw was called Hot Dome but I can't find them anywhere on the web.

If your worried about the wiper getting too soft upgrade to silicone wipers- they are worth it. I have the Triple Edge Silicone- 12 year warranty. At their worst they perform like brand new rubber blades (you know the minor little streaks that evaporate quickly) at their best they are fantastic. I also use the pink wiper fluid with Rainx in it which tends to cause the little streaks anyway. They don;t make silicone winter blades so the frames still ice up- hence the recent search for heated blades.

7. Letissnow

Letissnow Junior Member

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

An old trick I have seen is running the washer fluid hose to a coil wrapped around the radiator hose (or exhaust pipe depending) then to the nozzles to heat the fluid- alot cheaper than that last link.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Now that's a pretty good idea, and inexpensive also. Cost of a longer hose the way I see it.

10. curty85

curty85 Junior Member

Just me, will the washer hose stand the heat or are you talking about a coil made of soft copper?

11. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

hey can u really run the fluid through a copper pipe wraped around the manifold?? even a brake line would work......would the heat transfer through the metal and burn the hose?

12. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

no it wont burn cause theres always fluid in the line -always build a mini heat exchanger than you can calibrate it by adding coils or removing them--

13. danno

danno Senior Member

By the time the fluid reaches the blades in a copper tube, it would be "cool" enough where it wouldn`t burn the blade.