1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated washer fluid.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by porkhead1, Feb 27, 2003.

1. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thats pretty cool. i think id be more inclined to put those new heated wipers on instead, but i guess fluid is just another option to take. it definately would come in handy during a storm.

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

until the hot fluid hits the cold glass and spiderwebs the windshield.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have made systems for our plow trucks to pre-heat the fluid using engine coolant.The fluid is pretty hot when it comes out of the jets,but has never cracked a windshield.It helps keep ice off the wipers and the base of the windshield.At least when I'm using it,the windshield is kinda warm from the heat from the cab.

I don't think you'd see the systems on the market if they were that harmful to your windshield.OEM's are supposed to be adopting this type of setup soon too.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I think Jerre hit it right on in another thread. He is trying a 6" tall strip of rear window defogger "heat tape" along the bottom edge of the windshield in the wiper "park" area, along with heated blades. After plowing for 34 hours, and getting out about every 1/2 hour to knock the ice off the wiper park area, and wiper blades, it sure sounds like a great idea to me! Now if we could just get a 2 gallon reservior for washer fluid as part of the plow prep package...

~Chuck

6. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Chuck,

You mean the half gallon in the washer fluid tank and the gallon behind the seat doesnt count as the plow prep package???

Just started using that rain-x orange wiper fluid and seems to do a better job then the 68 cent blue stuff. It does seem to help shed off the snow and rain but road mist is still tough. It doesnt do a thing for snow buildup at the bottom of the windshield tho.

Best of luck

CMerrick

7. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Try the Prestone de icer fluid. Works pretty well for me keeping ice of the winshield, and off the wiper "park" area. :)

8. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I second the Prestone! I've known about the HotShot system for a while now. It was in Popular Mechanics a few months back, but I've never really looked into due to the price, and the fact that Prestone works great..for a lot less $$.

9. tileman

tileman Member

ice on winshield

Is there any easy way to stop to ice build up under the wiper blades. I too am tired of cleaning off the winshield every 1/2 hr or so.
    Sometimes it is nice to get out for a few just to stand up. Some snow seams to be worse than others.

10. Alaska Ranger

Alaska Ranger Junior Member

I've heard great comments about that wide strip of heat-tape at the base of the windshield.

A lot cheaper than any of the commercial heating systems for your fluid, though, is to route it as it leaves the reservoir through 1/4" soft copper tubing (refrigerator icemaker line, eg) that you loop around your radiator hose any number of times before re-connecting it to the line that goes to the jets.

Don't worry about warm fluid cracking your cold windshield. Remember, if it's lower than about 0*F, the stuff on your windshiled isn't going to ice anyway, but remain as fluffy blowaway stuff.

11. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

Heat Tape

I really like the idea of heat tape in the wiper "park" area. One question for all of you that have done this. Where do you find this heat tape. I've been to all of the big chain parts stores, and all they sell is the repair kits for rear window defrosters. Any ideas for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

GV, I've been looking also. There is a commercial kit that the big rig truckers use, It's a 2"x24" heat strip that sticks to the inside glass. I looked at it and its UGLY. Probably works good, but I would never put it on my trucks.

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

jerre has heated wiper blades

pretty slick setup
    i think they were $75.00

cardoctor

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Bought a couple set of heated wiper blades from Jerre earlier this year. One for myself and another for my father. I installed it on my father's truck when I got it, and he said that it works great!

I am yet to install mine, and will be doing that very soon, before we get the first snowfall of season! :D

I don't remember the pricing, but what Cardoctor said sounds about right to me. ;)