1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated Washer Fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by deicepro, Sep 12, 2010.

1. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen other posts on here for heated wipers, but this is different. Anybody see or use one of these. It taps into your heater core line and heats the washer fluid to 200 degrees.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would think it would freeze up really bad on the sides of your windshield. They use very hot water in the zamboni's when they clean the ice at a hockey game because it sets up and freezes over very quickly. You would have to be very careful not to use it on a cold windshield, I've seen a couple windshield's crack when guys use hot water to get the ice and snow off their trucks. Just my thoughts. I just crank up the heat on full defrost and roll the window down a bit more. If I get a lot of ice build up I just roll up the window and crank up the heat to full hot and go into a convenience store, get a coffee and b.s. for about 5 minutes and the ice is pretty much gone.
  3. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Brian Young check your PM's and let me know if you can!
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have it in one of my 08 GMC's. I love it and it works great. I have the factory version though. They did recall it however saying that they were going to add in a new wiring harness to prevent failure of the option. Of course I never got around to bringing it in, and then I got a recall on the 2nd wiring harness that they installed on some peoples vehicles and the fix is apparently to just disconnect the option all together and send me a check for $100 in the mail for my trouble. I'm not going to bring it in though since its worked fine for me for 2 years now.
  5. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

200 degrees seems extreme to me, I'd be afraid of craking your windshield. Couldnt the same effect be achieved at a lower temp?
  6. deicepro

Good thing I have full glass coverage:laughing::laughing:
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My underhood temps when plowing are already 100+ degrees. Not sure the washer fluid temp though. Interesting concept. I just use the fluid with deicer in it. Seems to work after a couple minutes.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like an excellent idea to me.

What will freeze? The washer fluid? Should be running winter formula, doesn't freeze.......
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've ran $5.00/gallon, "sub zero", "-10 degree", "deicer washer fluid" and have had all of them freeze up at some point, not to mention the nice stain the deicers leave on your paint. If all the "winter formula's" never froze then why waste your money on a heater for the fluid? I'm not saying it's a bad idea I just wouldn't buy it. Usually the problem isn't the fluid itself, its any part of the system thats not covered by the hood. What they need in conjunction with heated wipers is heated nozzles. Ford's new Super Duty's moved them to the hood instead of the cowl area because they stay warm from the engine, keeping that area clear of snow and ice build up.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard of a few guys doing this and I want to try it myself. All you have to do is extend the line from the washer fluid pump, wrap it around a radiator hose a few times then run it up to the sprayers.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That seems like an easier and cheaper idea. Just need an extra foot or so I guess?
  12. deicepro

Hmm....that's a good idea too
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It works better if you use copper tubing around the heater hose basically making your own heating coil. The copper picks up the heat better than a rubber hose around another rubber hose. Then simply connect to to the two ends of the copper tubing with your rubber hose. Cost is next to nothing.

Been doing it for 20 years, works great every time.
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Then in starts to oxidize and looks bad.
  15. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

On my '81 Ford dump the reservior is behind the drivers seat, in the cab. Never thought much about why, until I read this post!!
  16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Okay............. so, shoot a little paint at it b4 you put it together
  17. deicepro

Thanks, even better idea

Dont look at it:rolleyes: