1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heated mirrors

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by P.L., Dec 22, 2008.

1. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I have a 99 f350 and a 2005 F. The 450 has heated mirrors and I love them, the 99 doesn't and its my plow truck. I was wondering how hard it is to install heated mirrors on a truck that does not already have them. If anyone has done this before I would appreciate your input so i can decide if its a valid option.
  2. rockin s

rockin s Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I dont see that it would be all that hard if You can find the heated mirrors, I have Not done it But I am also thinking about adding elements in my 79 and 89 trucks.
  3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You have a couple of options.

You can install the smaller paddle style mirrors with heat. I actually have a pair that I would get rid of cheap.

Or you can install the Tow mirror, either the 99-07 Style or the 08 Mirrors. I have a set of 08s on my 2003.

You can find any of the above mirrors with heat. Ford mirrors are normally wire to a constant key on 12V ignition source so they are on all the time. But most people that choose to add heated mirror will install a switch so that you can turn the heat on and off as you choice.

Long story short you just have to know which wire on the mirror is for heat, and wire a 12V source to it, both side of course.

I just haven't got around to doing all the wiring on my 08s yet myself
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I had the paddle mirrorson my truck before I put my tow mirrors on.And for the heck of it I ordered 2 heated mirrors. and my 2003 was wired already for heated mirrors. im not sure if your truck is wired for it already but mine was.
  5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

The plug on the 99 mirror should be round if I remember correctly. Later years had a different plug style, however, the mirrors usually come with an adapter.

I elected to install a switch on my truck. Didnt want them on all the time, just as needed.

I have the towing mirrors with heat and power. They also extend and fold forward or back. They are aftermarket from ebay, but it is hard to tell the difference from OEM.
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

7. econolinerick

econolinerick Junior Member

I put heated mirrors on my '99 quite a few years ago. Of course the new mirror will bolt right up but the plugs will be different. No problem though, just splice. The hardest part was getting the wire for the heat through the 'accordian' conduit near the hinge. Not bad though, just had to work it for a while.
    I tapped into the fuse box for power (don't even remember which fuse now though) and mounted a lighted rocker switch (so I won't forget they're on) on the dash.

Driving commercial trucks cross country, I used the mirror heat quite often and thought I would in the pickup at home too but I actually only use them a few times/year. They're nice after freezing rain so you don't have to scrape but unless you go up & down mountains and fog up there's surprisingly few times they're useful.
  8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Can you add elements to an existing mirror?
  9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

No you can't
  10. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I didnt think so.
  11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i got a set of adaptors for the mirrors if anyone wants them...i think the fit the heat/power and let you splice or they go from round to the new ones...i forget...
  12. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Make certain you tap into a keyed 12v source. That way you will not leave them on while the truck isn't running. I love mine, but now I am worried about hitting the mirrors on something while back dragging between trailers.
  13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Tell me about it....my mirrors were not cheap and didn't buy them from the dealer. I'd hate to have to replace one at the dealer price.
  14. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

For the record you can add heated panels to the older tow mirrors. It will require you to completely dissemble the mirror to feed the wires through the arm.i did this when my 01 was new. It is a pain in the ass to do. Recently i added LED strobes to the front of my lighted turn signal mirror. If you have the patience it is possible.
    As far as powering the heated panel there are 2 ways to go. If you dont care to switch them on and off you can add a fuse wire right from the power wire that feeds each door window switch. This will provide you a key on source of 12v without having to run a wire from the drivers door to the passengers. Come summer you just pull the switch panel and remove the fuse.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Where do you get the heated panels? Ford? I looked somthing like that before I swapped for the '06 with them but didn't chech to see if Ford carried them.. I can think of a few applicatons for them.