1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated Mirrors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by makplow, Dec 27, 2005.

1. makplow

makplow Senior Member

When plowing, my neck really starts to bother me. I was wondering how heated mirrors work and how much they cost? Any advise would be appreciated. :help:

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They work great, it is a option I will be looking for on my next truck. I mainly look over my shoulder but I will use my mirrors in wide open areas.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know what this has to do with your neck but..... Heated mirrors are a must have I think, I don't know what they cost as they have always come with my trucks but they are worth it Im sure.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I think he is refering to having to look out the back window cause his side mirriors are iced over.

The stock mirrors are expensive. I think you can get aftermarket ones from JC Witney, probably much cheaper.

5. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

I loved my heated mirror's when they worked, they were nice.

6. jhughesIII

jhughesIII Junior Member

Heated mirrors are by far the best thing to come standard on most work trucks I plow with a F450 dump and don't have the option of the back window the last two years with the heated have been the best and knock on wood i have'nt knocked them of any major tree branches or poles yet cause i'm sure there much more expensive to replace especially with the lights in the side.

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I personally do not have them, but I have been in trucks that do. They will melt the ice right off the mirrors in like about 3 minutes. They are great and hardly ever fog up.:)

8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

H.m.

I have them on my 2002 tahoe. They really work great. Heated, power up/down left/right with a bottom light that shines down beside the door. Smashed the right one in a little mirror to mirror clash last summer. Big money for the replacement mirror, over $500.

9. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I love mine. Absolutely fantastic. I wished they offered heated windshield wiper blades as an option. Maybe next time.... :alien:

10. BDB

BDB Senior Member

You can add heated mirrors to your truck. I do not remember the part numbers but I added them to my 99' F350. It's a matter of hooking them up. 20 amp switch or you can retro-fit a factory one off a different vehicle. Best up-grade I've for plowing!!!:nod: Do a search for it here someone might have done this already.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After having them for one full year I don't know how I went without them.

12. We have heated mirrors on all the International's except the two Paystars. The mirrors work really well when ever we have to back down streets, or the snow is blowing from the back of the truck to the front keeping the mirrors ice/snow free. Another area heated mirrors shine is when you are going to back into the heated garage from the cold air, just turn the mirrors on a few minutes before going in to the garage and there will be no fogging. Wish some of the one tons would have them, but then the tax payers will complain the trucks cost to much.

13. makplow

makplow Senior Member

BDB Thanx. I have a 03 super duty. Are the heated mirrors larger then the stock mirrors?

14. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Which stock??? I think these TT (trailer tow) are off of the 04's and newer. Same size as other TT mirrors. They have the turn/marker lights in them too. If I remember they cost around $350 form a stealer (dealer). If you want the smaller ones I think they had heated small mirrors on the Excursions. The switch is the way to go because they are on only when you need them. Easy to hook up...the power adjustment just plugs right in, well on mine it did. Three wires for the lights blinker, parking and a ground. Two wires for the heat. Power and ground. Then you can save the origionals or sell them for a few bucks.:cool:

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Heated mirrors and heated wipers. Must have equipment for plowing snow

16. WBH Grounds

WBH Grounds Junior Member

I had a buddy look at them for his 03 chevy, and he said they start around $500 for his truck. If you can maybe keep an eye out at the local junkyards for some. I know some guys that did that and just installed'em themselves. That saved them a couple of hundred getting them like that.:)

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They DO have heated wiper blades- google it.

I wish I could get heated mirrors- been wanting them for years. They are offered on almost all trucks now, but not all older trucks can use them- not as easy as Whitneys.

Dodge, for example being my situation, offered them in 1998 and up- the mirrors are different (they claim do not fit) earlier trucks. Used ones (and nos) are on Ebay for $250 ish each for 98+ trucks- too much $$ to get one and see if I can make it work IMHO, plus I don't like the style of the newer mirrors compaired to mine. There are no aftermarket ones offered for my year truck- only 98+ since that's when Dodge started offering them. They also claim do not fit earlier years.

I have though about just getting some heating wire and a used mirror for my year and playing.....

Heated mirrors are only available in certain configurations in general- never seen Jr west coasts for example- spent 2 years trying to get full west coasts (heated or otherwise) for my Chevy to no avail. (they are lsted but never able to get them)- I know there are heated west coast heads available.

Do some web research- definatly a plus for a plow truck- can;t believe it took so long for it to be an option on trucks.

18. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I want to thank every one who has posted in this thread. Its been a great help. :waving:

19. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

it should be an standard feature from the factory if you get the snow plow prep package. i wouldn't mind spending an extra 4 or 5 hundred at the time i purchase my trucks. i would think its worth it...

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have heated wipers. www.everblades.com, you can have them too. Nice kit, top quality parts, I really like the switch. They have been working well. Another nice product The Night Blaster light, super cool if you have a seven pin U.S. Car connector like the factorys use.