1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated Mirror's

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nosinjcted, Nov 9, 2005.

1. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

My truck has the heated mirror's that used to work pretty good, the ice would melt off before the truck was warmed up that was about 2 years ago though. I know it's not a very big deal but was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their's or knows what to look for, I checked the fuses when I first noticed they didn't work but never got any farther than that.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope no problems here...:cool:
  3. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

hahahaha, thanks but that doesn't help me out much. There nice when they work aren't they.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Nope !!no problems here eather:rolleyes:

cheek the switch, fuse, and look to see if the heater pack is still stuck to the back of the mirror
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if the fuses are ok...check the switch, wires, and heating element...i don't think theres much more to them.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Is the element securly attached to the mirror glass? run a continuety test on the element (make sure it passes voltage from one end to the other- you're looking for a burnt out element or an open circiut) also check the service manual (factory one) for the resistance value of the element and measure it- it could be shorted.
    Check the switch too. Could be a broken wire- like in the area from the cab to the door- very common location for a break.

Welcome to the world of vehicle electrical troubleshooting.
  7. zupp242

zupp242 Junior Member

Heated Mirrors

The system is just a relay built into the switch which supplys 12volts directly to each mirror. Most likely your problem is corrosion on the terminals at the mirror head. That is the most likely spot where they are exposed. You should be able to see behind the mirror with a flashlite to inspeck the terminals, if you see "green death" then just grab ahold of the mirror and pull it off(wiggle up and down as you are pilling so the tabs will release easier). You can go to a glass shop and buy a new element and mirror. Make sure when you put your mirrors back on they are snapped in securly, best way to do it is snap in the plastic frame then install the mirror and element.