1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heated mirrors on plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WHITE=GREEN, Dec 30, 2002.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

did the search thing and didnt find much so here goes. anyone running heated mirrors in their trucks? ive been looking for the elements to make my own since noone that ive found offers a direct replacement for my 97' f-350. anyone know where i can get just the elements or maybe a kit? thanks.
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've been wondering the same thing about Chevy mirrors.
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

My Dodge came with heated mirrors as did my last GM, won't be without them now. Most truck equipment parts stores NAPA Traction for example carry elements that stick the back of West Coast truck style mirrors ( you have to take the mirror out of the metal frame and it epoxies to the back of the glass) I can't remember prices, but it couldn't have been to crazy or I would have remembered. I also think they came in a couple of different sizes.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

thanks nsmilligan, just found this on napas site.

Trucklite Mirror Heater Element -- 12v,For West Coast Style Mirrors,Element, Pre-terminated Pigtail & Adhesive Backing

Item#: TRK97845

Price: $ 13.49
    tax and shipping not included

Usually ships within 3 to 5 days.

Attributes: Mirror Heater Element
    # of Volts: 12v
    Mates w/ Part #(s): For West Coast Style Mirrors
    Contents: Element, Pre-terminated Pigtail & Adhesive Backing
    Application: Replacement Heating Element
  5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Alan the elements on the Chevy's are in the glass itself. They cost $34.00 each from the dealer.

Just had them both replaced monday morning,,but mine were covered under warranty
  6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I think ford is coming out with that option on the 2003 SD on the west coat mirrors. I bet you can but them from ford in the parts dept. I think they also have the turn signal in them.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

CARDOCTOR:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

AW Direct has heated west coast mirror heads, two styles. One has a built in marker light, the other doesn't. They aren't too expensive. I've used both, the one without the marker light seems to be a better quality unit.

For Fords, you can get heated replacement glass for the Excursion to fit your Super Duty. White=Green, I think you're out of luck though. I don't believe it will fit your series truck. What I had done was fit my truck with the mirrors from the F-650, they bolt on, but require some drilling on the upper door.
  9. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 2000 F250 which I have heated trailer tow mirrors from an excursion. There was a write up on this on Ford Diesel.com. It was very easy and beneficial upgrade.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My 2000 Dodge has them standard,now i want them in all my trucks. I wonde if anyone sell a kit to put the elements in my 91 GMC's mirrors,they are the 5x7 rounds.I love my heated mirrors,espeically in ice storms,freezing rain.
  11. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

John here is a link for heated mirrors for just about anything. www.KWMuth.com.
  12. John DiMartino

Thanks Ray
  13. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

I am surprised more plow trucks do do have an optional "lower windshield defroster" like the Wife's mini van. Coils run up the windshield about 6". They must be switched with the rear defroster. They'd be great on the really cold days.
  14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

All I could find was heated "Signal Mirrors" at almost $400 a pair,, too rich for my blood.

John, if you find anything let me know, I want them on my 88 also. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.
  15. John DiMartino

Alan,ill let yo know if i find anything.For now ill use my tried and true trusty quick start propane torch.I do break a mirror a season or so,but it works for now.