1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated mirrors not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M&M, Jan 20, 2009.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

My truck, 2002 2500HD ext cab short bed, has heated mirrors that do not work. I do not think they have worked since I purchased it in April '08. Everything else on the truck works fine including the rear defrost. I checked a few fuses that I believe run the system and they all are ok. That's where my knowledge on the subject ends. :confused: I thought I would ask if anyone has any insight before I send her to the dealer for diagnosis. Any help is great.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

please advise to your results, same truck an they work for sh*t. I think you have to have the rear defroster as well as the vent selctor on something.....I wish GM had just put a damn switch in. Instead you have to rub your head while patting your belly, and jumping up an down.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

i would like to know you results also, i think my driver side one works but not my passenger one, i looked for fuses today but didnt see any..

4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

They just wear out easily. I can get the mirrors and heating pad (behind the mirr) 2 wires hooked up in the back and usually get corroded..The mirrors just pop off. Let me know if anyone needs replacements. I would need to know what year, side, and if you have directionals in it..

5. M&M

M&M Senior Member

The manual says just push the rear defrost and they go on. I'm going to do more research on it and I'll be sure to post results.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the mirror heat is controlled by the rear window defroster.

And yes the heater grids die with age. Yours are likely both dead.

Easy enough to change though. :waving:

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have found posts on other discussion forums saying that you can "pop" off the old glass and "pop" on new glass. Is this accurate?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, you "pop" not only the glass but the plastic plate it's attached to out of the mirror housing as an assembly. Not tough at all.

9. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sweet....Thanks Mike.

11. mikelawtown

from Mass

Exactly..also the heating pad is between the glass and plastic plate...I have done dozens of these.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  12. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I roll the window down and use a Wendy's napkin and just wipe mine off. :D

13. M&M

M&M Senior Member

mikelawtown, what can I expect for a cost on this? My mechanic thinks it's the heating pad also and is getting a price to fix it. Just checking to see if he's in the balkpark.

14. mikelawtown

from Mass

delete please

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  15. mikelawtown

from Mass

The pad is glued to the mirror, find out a price from your mechanic and PM me. I will help you out in anyway i can.I dont have my book with the part # with me right now.so the price ill have to check in the next day or 2...Im on the Mass/NH line on RT93...

16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Well I fixed it. I went through the trouble shooting I found on the web. Specifically, I pulled the plastic trim off the door on the inside of the mirror and chcked the wiring harness to see if power was getting to the mirror. It was the orange wire that brings power for the heated element. Obviously make sure the heated mirrors are turned on then check with a volt meter. I had power there so I figured it was the element in the mirror like many suggested. My mechanic said the bulletin put out states that the passenger side has a tendency to go first. I then follow instructions by Mikelawtown (thanks!) that said to point the mirrors in and grab the end and pull off. Sure enough the glass broke like someone said they would so be sure you are ready to replace before pulling them off. The new one had two simple wire connections to make then pop the new glass on the housing behind it. Pretty simple. Oh yeah, the dealer had the glass for $60 for each side. I felt like a snob while I was researching them but the next storm will be my first ever with the heat. Can't wait!

17. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

If I have the power extending mirrors are they heated as well? Its an 05 2500h. I never really knew if I had the heated mirrors, because I never saw a button. Is it the same on all GMs I also have an 07 Escalade.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

It would say "heated mirror" on the mirrior with like 3 wavy lines next to it.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Simply way to tell...if the truck is equipped with the rear window defroster then your mirrors are also heated. If not then they are not heated.

20. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Ok thanks, I do have rear defroster but they dont have the heater thing with the three lines on them.