1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated mirrors - how to get them to stay on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kodiakguy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I looked around for a while for this, but found nothing.

I have an 09 GMC 2500HD with Heated mirrors. I love them. My only complaint is that they turn off after a period of time. I find myself turning them back on all the time. I know this is the way GM wants them and how they are supposed to be.

Some car makers make their heated mirrors to stay on. Anybody know if the dealer can change the programming to keep them on? I don't necessarily want to mess with the factory wiring to add a switch.

2. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

No the dealer cannot reprogram them to stay on.

3. Welcome to the world of pressing the button about 50 times per storm.

4. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

only way i thing you would be able to keep it on is if you rewire it.

5. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I guess its time to do a little wiring then.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

might want to reach out to the dealer, or vendor that makes the elements. i am sure they time out for a reason. you don't want to melt the element.

7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

heated mirrors

Those heater elements burn out quick enough as is, don't mess with them, you'll regret it.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

what if you hot wired them threw a aftermarket blower motor resistor to var the voltage to them so there is a low/med/high option that you select so you dont run full power all the time ?

here is what i was thinking for cheep var blower resistor switch http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102-S/