1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated mirrors for Chevy Work Truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmboy52787, Dec 8, 2007.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

I have a 2006 Chevy Work Truck with the basic plain mirrors. I would like to get the bigger heated towing extendable mirrors though. My dealer says its impossible to put heated mirrors into a truck without the computer system for heated mirrors. Could it be possible to bypass the connector on the mirrors and run wires directly to the battery with a switch? I would think it would just be positive and negative wires correct? Does anyone know of any after-market brands? It gets real old always having to get out a lot to scrape off the snow and ice from the mirrors so i can see where the hell I am going. I cant look behind me because I have a sander. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I second this question. Have the same type of truck and would really like to get the towing mirrors with heat. Someone has got to know how to do it Please give us all the info. Thanks

3. gm parts direct.com is the best price for NEW heated tow mirrors (less than 400 for both). The guys on dieselplace.com always talk about doing it, but you will have to know what wires to slice into. I am posotive that someone over there knows, but i can't tell you how to do it.

4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I was going to check and see if there is a wire I can use off the zone selector to pull a relay in. That way if it's in defrost or defrost/floor the heated mirrors would be on.

5. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

All heated mirrors I have seen are on a timer (10-15 mins.) but those are factory installed. After market units may not need the timer.

6. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

anybody have a part number? all i can find on that site are the extendable camper mirrors that disable all power functions and are not heated.

7. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Just checking to see if anybody had any luck

Just checking to see if anybody had anymore luck. Would NAPA sell something?

8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I have the west coast mirrors on the one ton . Just picked up some heated heads at local auto supply ( sanels ) for 25 bucks each . Just 2 wires so I'm going to switch them to something hot . Let you know in a few days how it goes.

9. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

ticki2

please keep us posted on the one ton, I run two of them and want to do the same thing

10. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Well finally got around to installing the heated mirror heads . Just hooked them to a power supply and ground . I used a lighted switch so I'd remember when they were on . They only draw 1.2 a each so it shouldn't be much of a drain . Hopefully no more foggy weather problems .

11. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

ticki2-
    Thanks for letting us know how it went for ya, how about some pictures of the install. You have me really wanting to set my trucks up with this set up. I hate icy mirrors.

12. gmpartsdirect.com
    left and right numbers
    15904034 15904035

THIS IS FOR AN 06 BODY STYLE NOT AN 08

13. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Soory , no pics , camera is gone for a week . Pretty straight forward for the west coast mirrors , Replace the heads ( 7" X 16" ) with the heated ones , run the wires thru the door where the mirror block-offs are to a switch and a ground . It took more time to decide where to put the switch. Finally decided on the blank space where the for light switch would normally be .

14. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Here's the brand and part no. , Velvac #705335 . They have a web site with several mirror types.

15. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

So what's the website? Thanks in advanceprsport

16. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Velvac.com

17. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

18. jaystripes

jaystripes Junior Member
    from NH

we just direct wire ours to a lighted international heated mirror switch and shut it off when the mirror is clear and turn it on as nessesary

19. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

20. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

They won't work for my 1/2 ton lol. I'll keep lookin