1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated mirrors again...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Frozen001, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

OK I finally got my truck in for the mirrors, and the steering shaft... Well they just called and said my mirrors are working fine.. than I have to turn on the rear window defroster for them to works...(NO KIDDING... :angry: I know this ) my comment was that they do not melt snow/ice/even a lite covering of water(like fogged windows)... Tech said they get "warm"...

Is it possible that they do not get "warm" outside in the cold...but work fine in the nice warm shop?? I know for a fact last winter they would melt snow/ice or what ever off the glass.

Also do you know who hot the mirror glass is suppose to get. I have access to an IR thermometer to check it.
  2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I don't have a schematic but someone must have one here. If we assume they are supplied 14V (when running with a charge) the resistance is set but the coils of wire within or behind the mirrors. So the temp must be OK? Make sense? If you were putting out less voltage you would have other problems like dim headlights for instance and mirrors that wouldn't melt.
  3. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

My '03 2500 is on it's third right side mirror.....
  4. CHPL

CHPL Member

I believe they will time out after awhile with the rear defogger. May be that is happening and you don't realize it????
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well this was the last straw with these mirror I picked up a set up the power extening mirros cheap so I am going to give those a try and see what happens...
  6. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I've had trouble with my heated mirrors too (2001 2500HD) I put 5 on so far. 4 were covered undr warranty. The fourth was out of my pocket. I had problems getting the warranty. Seems to give off enough heat in the shop but not during cold conditions. So I went to the dealer and showed the them the temp difference from left to right using a infrared contact thermometer. I don't rember what the difference in temp was from side to side. But enough to warranty it. GM repalcement parts are 1 year from purchase. So if one goes out before the warranty is up I show the parts manager the difference in temp then remove the "glass" and pick up my new one.

I'm sure you are aware that the whole mirror assembly does not need to be replaced. Just the "glass" can be removed. The important factor is to show it to the parts manager before you remove the "glass" because removing the "glass" will crack it and they may be very skeptical. Also compare new "glass" resisatnce value to old "glass" resistance value. My experience is the preformance degrades it doesn't just stop working.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

YAZ...........For the mirror check out thse links. If I remember
    right one of them has the wiring diagram..............geo

http://www.gentex.com The guys who make the glass
    http://www.mitocorp.com The wholesalers

GUYS........Still digging for the link that somebody put up that has
    FULL pics and detailed instructions to DIY heated mirror glass
    replacement. Heated glass piece only from GM parts Direct is $30
    bucks plus shipping FYI............ Will post...................
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2006