1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated mirror problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Nov 8, 2011.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I have a 2009 2500HD with camper/towing mirrors. The heat in my passanger side mirror stopped working. The other power functions still work, blinker and adjustment. Is this a fixable problem (aside from buying a new overpriced mirror) ? What could be the potential problem?

2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

i have found that alot of times its the wire broken in the door where it goes in the cab but that's usually on the drivers door
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Just curious. Are you over 36k miles?
  4. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

unfortunately yes, I'm well out of warranty. I have just over 73,000 miles on it.

I guess the first thing to do is take off the door panel and check the wires.
  5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

The easiest thing to do is to very carefully remove the mirror glass by getting thin screwdrivers into the back from the top and start seperating the mirror from the body,(it's attached by a series of clips in a large round circular pattern) be careful not to break the glass and then check for power at the heater terminals there. If you have power than you'll know the glass heater element is bad.
  6. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I checked the heating element terminals in the mirror today and it has power, so the heating element must be bad. I'll have to try to find a part # and replace it.
  7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Do you have glass coverage? Usually you can get new ones. I can get new Glass and element shipped to you but check 1st about glass coverage,We do them at our shop in North Andover
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011