1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heated blanket to melt ice?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeffB, Feb 19, 2008.

1. JeffB

JeffB Junior Member

Wisconsin's rain/ice storm left me with some thick patches of ice. I have heavily salted them, and broke my ice pick trying to break them up. I am starting to run low on rock salt as every place around seems to be sold out so I would rather not have to keep pouring on the salt. Luckily the main sidewalks are clear, but areas like the dumpster corral are still icy. Anyone tried a heated blanket to melt ice/snow? I found a brand called power blanket that looks interesting, but does it work?
    http://www.powerblanket.com/product_info.php?products_id=124
    All three icy spots conveniently have a storm drain next to them so run off will not be an issue and a power source is nearby.

2. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

That is a interesting product. Not sure if it would work. Most likely you will have to wait till saturday and the temps will rise and you can scrape things down then.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

not sure how big an area it is but what about renting a hand held propane torch like they use in asphalt to melt the ice right away?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy some sand.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

well honestly i can see about 101 things t go wrong with that other than costing roughly $45,000 to cover the average mc'donalds LOL

how bout some liquid melter? you can spray any liquid chloride with a pump up lawn and garden sprayer if needed

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

2x on getting some sand.

7. JeffB

JeffB Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Sometimes simpler is better. I will apply some sand for now and check out the liquid ice melt. I guess I just liked the idea of having a new gadget to play with. :eek:

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a bunch of woment to stand around talking on the icy spot. All the hot air will melt it in a hurry....:D

9. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

There is a Company in Elkhorn that rents

them, they are typically used for heating the ground for minor excavating, concrete etc.